06 June 2012

Review: Bumgenius 3.0 Pocket Diaper



{Updated: 12 March 2013}
Bumgenius is one of the most popular brands of cloth diapers in the US. They are also available locally from selected online stores, though personally I find the price to be quite prohibitive in South Africa. When I saw a bunch of these (brandnew!) advertised on Gumtree at a bargain price though, I snatched them up immediately. 

Description: Bumgenius 3.0 is an OS (one-size) pocket diaper with a PUL waterproof exterior and a suedecloth stay-dry interior lining. It features stretchy tabs making for easier diaper changes and features Velcro closures (note - I converted mine to snap closures). Each diaper comes with a newborn microfiber insert along with a thicker OS microfiber insert. When baby has outgrown the newborn insert it can be used as a doubler to increase absorbency for nap times and overnight diapering. 


First impressions: These were some of the first pocket diapers I bought and I remember marveling at how trim they seemed in comparison to the prefolds and covers I'd been using up until that point. I still think they're fairly trim, especially if you stuff them with the newborn insert. I like the wide range of colours, the colour coordinating snaps and the rounded tabs. The suede cloth interior feels soft and smooth and I feel that it would be very comfortable against baby's skin. [Rating: 5/5]

Ease of use: The Velcro closures make these diapers super easy to put on and take of. The diapers fastens easily around baby's waist thanks to the stretchy tabs and elasticated waist. You have to remember to affix the Velcro closures to the laundry tabs and also remove the insert from the shell before washing, this takes just a few seconds. They are easy to stuff when they come out of the laundry and the pocket shells and newborn inserts dry very fast. The one-size insert takes a little bit longer to dry (as expected). These are my husband's go-to diaper and the favourite of A's daymother as well. [Rating: 4/5]


Fit: These diapers fit A well. I bought them when she was close to four months and about 4.5kg and they fit beautifully right from the start. A has a fairly small waist, so I like that they have a crossover velcro fastening - a feature which we had to use in the beginning. I doubt they would fit a newborn though. Up until seven months we used the newborn insert which gave us a *very* trim fit. Using the OS insert now the diapers are bulkier on and I must say the snap-down on the insert bugs me as it forms a slight bulge in the back. We get a good fit around the legs and crotch area is neither particularly trim or very wide - I think it would work well on a range of body sizes. [Rating: 4/5]

Value for money: These diapers are very pricey if you buy them locally (they currently retail for R260). They are much cheaper to buy in the US (around $17 excluding customs & shipping), but we are unable to import them due to strict re-seller agreements. It's a pity, because this factor alone will put many people off - it would be super expensive to build a whole stash of these. If I was forced to pay the full retail price  for one of these, I'd definitely opt for the new 4.0 version with snaps as I think they will last much longer than the velcro. And if I'm spending that amount of money I'd opt for one of the cute new prints in their Artist series.  [Rating: 3/5]

Performance: The diaper does not have double gussets, but nevertheless did an excellent job of containing A's ebf poo when she was younger. The inserts can hold a lot of liquid, especially if you're using the OS insert. I love the stay-dry inner of these diapers - A's bum is dry to the touch even when the insert is soaked. I have also never had any leaks, even when the insert was soaking wet - the waterproof outer really does a great job at holding in liquids. The velcro fastenings showed wear and tear very quickly - so much so that I recently replaced them with snaps. [Rating: 4.5/5]

Overall impression: This is hands down DH's favourite diaper. He can't stop raving about them. They are hands down our most dependable diaper and a go-to for the daycare diaper bag. If I lived in the US, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these, but with the price of these in SA, unfortunately they aren't accessible to the average person. But, if you're able to get your hands on some via a friend or family member who lives in the US or even find some secondhand ones on Gumtree or somewhere similar, don't hesitate to give these a go. [Rating: 4.5/5]

You can buy Bumgenius products online at The Real Nappy Company. Also like the Bumgenius page on Facebook to connect with fans worldwide and be the first to know of new products and features. 

NOTE: The Bumgenius 3.0 have been replaced by their new 4.0 version, offering some improved features, including the option to have snap closures instead of velcro. I have not tried a 4.0, so some of my comments might not apply to the new version.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and A, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. A the time that these photos were taken, A was 16 months old and weighed 9.6kg.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful nappy ... sadly too expensive ... sniff sniff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Fiona - Bumgenius is ridiculously expensive in South Africa! Such a pity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome fit but WAY to pricey in SA. Pity though!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.