06 June 2012

Review: Fancypants Pocket Diaper

Alyssa at 9 months in her Fancypants diaper
This will be the first in a series of reviews I'll be doing on cloth diapers.  While still pregnant I read up as much as I could on the different brands, but found that reviews on locally available brands were sorely lacking, so hopefully this will help other moms out who want to gather information before buying. 
So, onto the review: 

Description: Fancypants is a OS (one-size) pocket diaper, with a stretchy PUL waterproof exterior and stretchy bamboo/cotton interior lining. The pocket is more like a tunnel design in that it features openings on both ends (front & back), so very easy to stuff and it can agitate out in the wash, so you don't have to touch the wet insert. I haven't tried this personally, but they claim it works on their website. Each diaper comes with two absorbent microfibre inserts so you can increase absorbency when going for longer period without changing a diaper (naps or overnight). 

First impressions: This is a very good looking diaper. The colours are bright (which I love) and it looks to be very well made. It's got a cute little label on the back, which adds to the visual appeal of the diaper. The bamboo/cotton lining on the inside is nice and soft and I would imagine that it feels great on baby's bum. There are four rows of snaps (instead of the usual three that most OS diapers have), making it more adjustable to fit a wider range of sizes. My only complaint (and it's a minor issue really) is that the snaps are white instead of the same colour as the PUL, so they are fairly obvious. [Rating: 4.5/5]

Ease of use: The stretchy fabric makes these diapers very easy to put onto baby, even for those that are usually snap-challenged (daddies and daycare, I'm talking to you!). No velcro, means no laundry tabs to remember to affix and no catching onto other diapers in the wash. The tunnel design of the pocket means that you don't have to take out the insert before you wash it, saving time and keeping your hands clean. The stretchy fabric makes the diaper easy to stuff when it comes out of the laundry as well. I did find that it takes a bit of practice before you get the hang of inserting the microfibre insert properly so that it doesn't touch baby's skin (micofibre shouldn't be against baby's skin as it can be quite drying). [Rating: 4/5]




Fit: These diapers fit my little girl VERY well. She is now on the 2nd set of rise snaps at nine months and 8.2kg. She has a fairly small waist and chubby legs - both are easily accomodated by the cross over tabs in front and the wonderful stretchiness that this diaper offers. These diapers are fairly trim as far as cloth diapers go, so fits easily under jeans. I bought these when she was four months old and around 5kg so they fit from the start on the smallest setting, but they can adjust down pretty small, so they might even astart fitting from 4kg onwards. I don't think they will fit the average newborn like the website claims, but then most OS diapers don't fit newborns. The stretchiness of these diapers and the four rise settings (instead of the more usual three) means that they can accomodate a much wider variety of body shapes and sizes - useful if you intend on using your diapers on future children as well. [Rating: 5/5]


 Performance: The diaper does not have double gussets (something which I was weary of after getting used to the double gussets on my Thirsties covers), but nevertheless did an excellent job of containing her ebf poo. The insert can hold quite a bit of liquid, so the diaper can easily go for 3 or so hours without any leaks. Because it doesn't have a stay-dry inner I tend to change her more frequently though, so she doesn't sit in a wet diaper for too long. In three months this diaper shows absolutely no wear and tear (I can't say the same for my velcro diapers!) and I'm confident that it'll continue to hold up really well. [Rating: 5/5]

Nice and trim when only using one of the inserts (perfect for daytime use)
Value for money: These diapers are fairly pricey (they currently retail for R175; bulk discounts apply if you buy 10 or more), but you get a great product for what you pay. They fit well, feel and look great on my daughter and they still look as good as new after three months of regular usage. So while the initial capital outlay to purchase a complete stash of these is fairly daunting, I really do think they will last through a couple of children. [Rating: 4/5]

Overall impression: This is one of my favourite diapers. As much as I love the idea of stay-dry inners, I actually prefer natural fibres against my baby's bottom - I just feel that it's more breathable and better for her skin than the synthetic fabric. I love the vibrant colour range (my favourite colour is Lollipop, a dark pink) and honestly, if I didn't already have such a large stash I probably would get more of these. [Rating: 4.5/5]


Buy Fancypants diapers directly from their website - fancypantsproducts.co.za - and check out the Facebook page for specials. 


Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and A, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. A the time that these photos were taken, A was 9 months old and weighed 8.9kg.

10 comments:

  1. Have enjoyed using this nappy too ... but not my favourite as it is a pocket nappy :( and not a fan of synthetic booster pads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this one better than Fuzzibunz?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Laura - They are two very different nappies. I do believe this one is better priced for what you get. Bear in mind that it has natural fibres against baby's bottom where the Fuzzibunz has microfleece which gives a stay-dry effect. The Fuzzibunz however comes with a lifetime guarantee as well as replacement elastics and can size down smaller, so will start fitting sooner. While they both fit A very well, they are cut very differently - the Fancypants has a wider crotch vs the Fuzzibunz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ok, thanks! I'll have to get both then :)

      Delete
  4. I had these for my firstborn and I did really like the fit and the colors, and they never showed any real wear even after more than a year. The pads really do agitate out in the wash. The only real drawbacks to them were that they were much bulkier than our other cloth nappies and they took FOREVER to dry after the wash. They are also more expensive than a lot of other brands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, what soap brands do you use? I uses woolies earth products but it's out of stock, got the purity one but now my daughter has a rash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use sunlight gel that I make from sunlight bar soap. Works well for us.

      Delete
  6. I have to decide between fancypants or pokkelokkie... any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Depends on whether you want a pocket (Fancypants) or a flat/fitted (Pokkelokkie). They are both great brands. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.