15 August 2012

Review: Cosy Creations Wool Soaker


I received one of these soakers from a fellow cloth diapering mama while on the lookout for a night-time solution for A a few months ago. I had heard many moms rave about fitteds and wool for night, but honestly, the thought scared me. Plus, wool soakers are usually very pricey - I was not keen to dish out money on something I wasn't convinced I'd love. 

Description: The soaker is knitted with 100% Merino wool and features a ribbed drawstring waistband and ribbed leg openings. Wool is naturally water resistant and anti-microbial, making it the perfect cover to use over prefolds and fitteds. 



First impressions:  The soaker seems very well made and I love the fact that the waist is adjustable with a drawstring. The one I received is a gender-neutral brown, great to use on either a boy or girl, though I will confess that I'd love it if these were available in a wider variety of colours. [Rating: 4/5] 

Ease of use: These are super easy to take on and off - you literally just pull them up or down like you would do with pants. The waist adjusts with a drawstring, so no complicated snaps to figure out or velcro to worry about. Since wool is anti-microbial and anti-fungal the soaker only has to be washed once every few weeks, and can just be aired out in the meantime after each use. Washing it is much less daunting than I initially thought it would be. You do have to handwash, but for the most part it just involves gently soaking the wool in a soapy mixture and then re-lanolising. A cinch, once you understand the process. [Rating: 4/5] 


Fit: I love how accomodating these are - they fit my little girl at three months and still fits her now at 9 1/2 months. The wool stretches to fit over even the bulkiest night-time diaper and thanks to the ribbed drawstring waist there is no gaping in the middle, while the legs fit snugly as well. The ribbed leg openings can be adjusted for leg chunk as well. It looks very comfortable on and A looks super cute in her little woolen pants - even TheHusband commented on it. [Rating: 5/5] 

Value for money: These are an absolute steal, especially considering the price of pure wool. You won't find wool soakers cheaper elsewhere. [Rating: 5/5] 

Performance: Even with a soaked fitted diaper underneath and after 12 hours of overnight use, we have not experienced a single leak. It is pretty much bulletproof and a must if you don't want to worry about changing wet sheets in the middle of the night. The soaker has felt slightly damp on occasion (no leaks though), then I just know it's time to lanolize again.  [Rating: 5/5]



Overall impression:  I am pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoy using wool and also at how cute A looks in her little woolen soaker. These soakers are fantastic value for money and I love being able to support a South African mom. [Rating: 4/5] 


You can buy these wool soakers (and other knitted items) directly from Cosy Creations. Like Cosy Creations on Facebook to be the first to know of any specials or new product offerings. 

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received this wool soaker free of charge, but was not compensated for the review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and A, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. A the time that these photos were taken, A was 9 months old and weighed 8.9 kg.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marisa, I'm going through all your reviews, they have been really helpful - thanks! I tried the link for cosy creations but it comes up with an error - do you know how I can contact this WAHM? (Or someone else who you know makes these?). I bought a beautiful wool soaker from Little Pants in the UK made from beautiful alpaca wool but it doesn't fit my little chunks thighs anymore so I'm looking for a replacement. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you find the reviews helpful! Cosy creations has been renamed to Hippie Safari Handmade (no affiliation to this blog) - if you search Facebook you will find her page and can contact her via it. Happy cloth diapering!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.