23 November 2012

Review: Snugglybum OS Pocket Diaper


Description: The Snugglybum pocket diaper consists of a waterproof PUL or minky outer and microsuede inner with a microfibre insert.  There is a pocket opening at the back, allowing you to add absorbency as needed. These diapers are one-size, which means they'll fit through most of your baby's diapering years.They fasten with snaps around the waist and feature hip snaps to prevent wing droopage.

First impressions: The diaper I tested has a minky exterior which is super duper soft. This specific print in combination with the velour feel of the minky fabric adds up to a very girly looking diaper - perfect for little miss A! A look at their website reveals quite a few other seriously cute prints - I love flower power & pink vine for girls and little monsters or funky denim for a girl. The diaper seems to be sized quite big for a one-size diaper. [Rating: 3.5/5] 

Ease of use: To use these, you just slip the insert into the pocket opening provided and then fasten the diaper around your baby. Pretty easy. I did notice the lack of stretchy tabs, but still found it easy to get a good fit. [Rating: 4/5]  

Fit: I can't say I'm crazy about the fit. Like I said, these diapers run quite big - A is still on the smallest rise setting at one year old and almost 9kg and they would probably take a couple of months before a small/average sized baby would be able to fit into them. The diaper features overlapping tabs at the waist, so the waist can adjust fairly small, but the leg openings will be big on younger babies, which could lead to leaks. If there was one more hip snap or another rise setting they would be able to size down much smaller. At the moment these fit okay on A - not great but not entirely bad either.



Value for money: These diapers are very well priced compared to others available in South Africa and as such is a lot more affordable and appealing to parents. The fact that they do run fairly big though, means you won't get as much use out of them as other one-size diapers I've tried, which is a shame since that means less time to flaunt those cute prints! On the flip side, since you'll be using them for a shorter time, they should be good to go for two or even three kids. [Rating: 3.5/5] 

Performance: While we never experienced leaks with this diaper, the outside of the diaper (especially in the crotch area close to the leg seams) felt damp on more than one occasion after being worn for two hours at most. This meant that I was constantly checking A while she wore it for fear of leaks. This is my first encounter with minky fabric, so I'm not sure if it is not quite as waterproof as the PUL or if it was just user error. I have used the PUL version of these diapers with no problem though. [Rating: 3/5] 



Overall impression: I love the print and the soft squishy feel of this diaper, but I wish I didn't have to worry about wicking. As mentioned I only had this problem with this particular diaper and I'm not sure if it's the minky exterior or perhaps just a bad batch. The price is excellent though and it's great as an affordable stash builder. [Rating: 3/5] 

You can buy the Snugglybum Pocket Diaper directly from their website or via Doodle Bums. Like them on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received a Snugglybum diaper free of charge for purposes of this review, but I was not compensated for it and all opinions are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and A, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. A the time that these photos were taken, A was 13 months old and weighed 9.3 kg.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the revue. I must say they are so pretty, but the dampness you spoke about and the fact that they are big puts me off...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also had the same issue with dampness and even leaks with these diapers...I bought five for my firstborn and regretted them as compared to other brands - though they were the cutest! The fit just wasn't quite on so sadly I'm passing on them this time around. :-/

      Delete
  2. Remember the fit will depend on your baby's build - A is on the slim side, so obviously this affects the fit on her. Also keep in mind that I did not test the PUL version of these diapers, so I can't say that they will also have the dampness issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the PUL version and it leaked like a sieve :( BUT he was 25 months old at the time and makes mammoth wee's. It leaked after he made only 1 wee in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some I these. They are a good fit in my very chubby baby. 12.4 kg at 10 months. Both the minky and the PUL leaked a lot. I find they don't leak if Zi use the MN bamboo inserts instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my Snugglybum nappies. They are perfect for daytime use, but as M is a heavy wetter they sadly don't last the night without leaks.
    PS: Snugglybum nappies are Alva nappies.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.