26 February 2013

Review: Cherub Tree OS Pocket Diaper

Description: The Cherub Tree one-size pocket diaper consists of a waterproof PUL shell with a microsuede interior lining and a pocket opening at the back. It comes with two inserts - one microfibre and one hemp. The Cherub Tree pocket diaper features a snap-down rise with the option of either velcro or snap closures around the waist. 

First impressions: This is a well-made diaper and compares very favourably to other international brands I have tried. The cut and style is very similar to that of the Bumgenius pocket diaper. They come in an array of bright colours, which, as you know by now, I'm a sucker for. This red has been calling out to me for some time and I just had to snatch it up! I love that it comes with two inserts vs the regular one that comes with most other diapers. The hemp insert is squishy soft and very trim. [Rating: 4/5] 


Ease of use: These are pretty straightforward to use - the pocket stuffs very easily (even when using both inserts) and both the velcro and snaps are easy to use. When you take the diaper off, you have to remove the insert(s) before putting it in your diaper pail (as with all pocket diapers). The velcro in particular is very daddy & daycare friendly. I do wish there were laundry tabs to affix the velcro to though - a small detail that I found very useful with velcro diapers. As it is I just affix it to the microsuede lining, but I worry about pilling and they do sometimes come undone in the wash - but then that is also true for diapers with laundry tabs. Both the pocket shells and microfibre inserts dry extremely fast, but the hemp takes a while too dry. That's to be expected though, given that it's a natural fibre. [Rating: 4/5]  

Fit: As you can see from the photos we get a great fit on little miss A. Though not the trimmest diapers we own, they are fairly trim as far as pocket diapers go. A is currently on the second rise snap at 16 months old and 9.6kg and has been on those rise settings for the last 10 - 11 months. Cherub Tree can size down fairly small and while I never used it on A as a newborn, it fit her like a glove at 3 months old (around 4.5kg - 5kg if I remember correctly). One thing I do have to mention is that if you have a chunky baby or toddler, you might find that the waist gets too small - Cherub Tree has thought of this though and sell waist extender tabs on their site, so you should be able to get a good fit even on your big toddler. The velcro is a little bit stiffer than regular velcro (one of the 'drawbacks' of good quality velcro) and so could possibly hurt a chubby baby belly, but I can't say for sure. [Rating: 4/5] 



Value for money: I think these are excellent value for money! For a well-made, relatively trim-fit pocket with two inserts, you simply can't beat the price. They also offer volume discounts and regularly have specials, so do keep your eyes peeled for that as well.  [Rating: 5/5] 

Performance: Nothing to complain about here - we have never had any leaks with our Cherub Tree pockets. The hemp insert is amazing as well - it really can hold a *lot* of liquid and makes a good overnight solution as well, especially for younger babies - you might find that you have to add absorbency for overnight with an older toddler though. Do keep in mind that you cannot use the hemp insert on it's own though - it has to be paired with either microfibre, cotton or bamboo. The microsuede inner makes it easy to get poo off as well, without leaving stains - love that! [Rating: 5/5] 



Overall impression: These make a great pocket diaper and is also a very affordable stash builder - always a plus point. They work well and fit great - what more could you want? In my opinion it is one of the best diapers on the South African market and I highly recommend it. If I could tweak it, I would add velcro tabs (though I prefer snaps anyway) and add some more prints to the range (note: cow print will be available very soon). [Rating: 4.5/5] 

You can buy Cherub Tree diapers directly from their website or from their various resellers (both online and in stores). Check out their Facebook page as well to be the first to know about specials and new products.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and A, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. A the time that these photos were taken, A was 16 months old and weighed 9.6kg. This diaper was paid for by myself and this review contains 100% my own opinions. A was chosen as the face of Cherub Tree 2013, but this has in no way influenced my opinion of the brand. 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! I also LOVE them and will definitely be buying more to make it the majority in my stash :) So affordable as well at around R140 a nappy! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were my favorite of the brands we tried with our firstborn. We never had any problems with leaks, they always fit well and they looked great on her. But I will say they didn't last as long as the Fancypants ones; after about 18 months of use (and I'll admit to a lot of use!) the waterproofing did wear off and they started leaking on us. So sadly they're not around for #2, though I will probably buy more!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.