16 March 2013

Review: Babyland OS Pocket Diaper


I have read a lot about Babyland and other made in China brands like Coolababy, Rainbow Baby etc - all of which are a dime a dozen on eBay and sold at super low prices. I was curious to see how they compared to the more expensive brands I've tried and also to the Alva brand (another made in China diaper).

Description: Babyland pocket diapers consists of a waterproof PUL shell, lined with a micro fleece inner. The diaper comes with two microfiber inserts and feature snap closures around the waist as well as hip snaps to prevent wing droopage. The rise is adjusted via three snap options and the waist features cross-over snaps, making it possible to size the waist down quite small.

First impressions:  Babyland doesn't seem to be as high quality as some other diapers I own, though for the price I didn't expect it to be either. Nevertheless it looks to be fairly well made. I immediately noticed the very stretchy PUL on this diaper as well as a strong chemical smell - which still lingered even after washing them once. These diapers come in a range of bright colours and I'm particularly fond of the purple that A is wearing in these photos. The micro fleece interior is super soft. [Rating: 3.5/5] 



Ease of use: These are pretty easy to put on and I feel the stretchy PUL makes them easier to snap on than other snap diapers without any stretch. Since it has snap closures, there are no laundry tabs to worry about before putting them in the diaper pail - freeing up a few extra seconds at the changing table. As with all other pocket diapers, you do have to remember to take the insert out before putting it in the pail. The pocket opening in the back is quite generous, making them very easy to stuff. Both the pocket shell and microfibre inserts dry pretty fast, as is typical of synthetic fibre diapers. [Rating: 4/5]  

Fit: These are pretty average sized as far as one-size diapers go and we get a pretty good fit on A - again the stretchy PUL makes it quite easy to get a good fit. They are neither particularly trim or bulky - pretty average for pocket diapers in my experience. The snaps on the rise seem to sit a bit lower than on other OS diapers though and the placement seemed to cause an awkward bulge in the crotch area, but I may just be overly picky and it really doesn't affect function at all. [Rating: 4/5] 



Value for money: This diaper is very affordable and the fact that it comes with two microfibre inserts is a nice bonus. To quickly build a stash, these are one of the least expensive pocket diaper options, however since they are so cheap, I wonder about how well they would hold up in the long run. [Rating: 4/5] 

Performance: The diaper works pretty well for us and we have not experienced any leaks during the day. The inserts seem to do a good job at absorbing liquids - on par with other microfibre inserts that I've used. I did not try it for overnight, however I don't think the microfibre inserts would be a match for 12 hours of toddler pee! I am sure two inserts would work for overnight for a smaller baby though - that has been my experience with other pockets anyway. After a month's use there is very minimal pilling on the fleece inner and no visible wear and tear elsewhere on this diaper. {Edit 05/2013: After three months use, the pocket shell has delaminated, which means it is no longer waterproof and prone to leaks} [Rating: 0/5] 

Overall impression: This is not a high end diaper and you shouldn't expect the same quality that you'd get with spending more on a diaper. Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised by both the performance and fit of this diaper and think that it is a very affordable way to get started with cloth. And as you know, I'm all about spreading the cloth love! {Edit 05/2013: After three months use, the pocket shell has delaminated, which means it is no longer waterproof and prone to leaks}  [Rating: 1/5] 



Babyland diapers are available in South Africa on the ¤ 2shies¤ Facebook group. You can also find out about specials and new product offerings by joining the group on Facebook.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received this diaper free of charge from ¤ 2shies¤ for purposes of this review, however I was not compensated for my review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and A, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, A was 16 months old and weighed 9.6 kg.

1 comment:

  1. I just started with cloth diapering. I bought these bc of the price and they got pretty good reviews. They do have a chemical smell and I think that is a flame retardant. Heavy drapes give off the same smell. I haven't tried any others yet but the chemical smell is enough for me to think it could be dangerous for all of us.

    They are pretty good diapers even when you put them on backwards (1st time mommy, did I say!)

    I would say waterproof is slightly misleading.

    Good for $2/diaper
    thanks for the blog

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.