26 March 2013

Review: Thirsties Duo AIO Diaper



Description: The Thirsties Duo AIO diaper consists of a waterproof PUL outer and microfleece inner with a micofibre insert sewn into the diaper. Thirsties have a two size system, with size one fitting babies from newborn to 8kg and size two from 8kg to 18kg. Each size comes with three rise adjustments via a snap-down rise, which essentially means you have six rise settings across the two sizes, allowing for a great level of adjustability. For the waist closure you have a choice of either velcro or snaps.

First impressions: These look very similar in style and cut to the other products in the Thirsties range, but without their signature white trim around the edges and double leg gussets. The sewn-in insert is fairly thick, giving the diaper a bulkier appearance than other AIOs I have tried. I found the tunnel design of the sewn-in insert (it is open on both ends to allow for thoroughly cleaning of the diaper as well as the ability to add extra absorbency) quite innovative. The diaper seems to be well made with quality fabrics - the microfleece lining on the inside especially is super soft and smooth. [Rating: 4/5] 


Ease of use: This is a very easy diaper to use - simply put it on and after use, take it off. Since it's a true AIO there is no assembly acquired. There is only one row of snaps across the waist which makes it very easy even for those new to cloth to put them on. I did find that it took quite a while to dry though, unless I turned the diaper inside out. [Rating: 4/5]  

Fit: Honestly I'm not a fan of how these fit A. Which is surprising, considering I loved the fit of the Thirsties Duo Wrap for the newborn stage. They are bulkier than other AIOs and not as absorbent as you'd expect from the level of bulkiness. Because there are only one row of snaps and the closure tabs are quite wide, it causes curling around the edges, which doesn't affect how the diaper functions, but bugs me nevertheless. It might just be that A is in an inbetween-snaps stage at the moment, but I struggled to find the correct snap settings to use on both the waist and the rise in order to get a good fit.  [Rating: 2/5]  


Value for money: These are in the average price range for an AIO and I think it's good value for money.  The diaper has held up pretty well in the few months that we've been using it and it still looks as good as new, with no pilling of the microfleece interior. [Rating: 4/5] 

Performance: We don't have any leak issues with this diaper but I do find that I have to change it sooner than other diapers we own. I find this diaper is quite stain resistant and it's very easy to spray poop off of it.
 [Rating: 4/5] 

Overall impression: I expected to love this diaper based on my experience with the Duo Wrap, but that didn't happen. While it is made well and works just fine, our fit issues and the bulkiness of the diaper makes that it is not one of the first diapers I reach for. I do love this particular print though, which redeems the diaper somewhat in my eyes (superficial, huh?).  [Rating: 3.5/5] 


Thirsties diapers are available from most major cloth diaper retailers in the US - refer my list of retailers who ship to South Africa.  Like them on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints. 

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper, was not compensated in any way for my review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and A, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, A was 16 months old and weighed 9.6 kg.

1 comment:

  1. She is a doll! I am a sucker for cute prints and patterns too. We use thirsties cloth diapers and I like them, they work for my son.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.