25 April 2013

Review: Bottombumpers OS AIO



Description: The Bottombumpers AIO OS diaper consists of a waterproof PUL outer and organic cotton inner with a 4-layer snap-in soaker made of organic cotton and topped with bamboo velour. The diaper features eight snaps on each side to adjust the waist and thigh size instead of the more usual front closure. Bottombumpers OS AIO also has four rise adjustment options via a snap-down rise on the inside back of the diaper.

First impressions: Bottombumpers are very well constructed and I love the fact that only organic cotton touches A's skin. The hidden rise snaps and the side-snapping closure makes for a very sleek appearance and I just adore the deep grape colour of the diaper shown in the photos, which, sadly, has been discontinued. I bought the diaper secondhand and the bamboo velour on the soaker has lost some of its plushness as is expected with general wear and tear. This was the first diaper I have seen that uses hidden rise snaps on the inside of the diaper and I love the fact that they are colour coded to make them more user friendly. [Rating: 4/5] 



Ease of use: This diaper has a bit of a learning curve with hidden rise snaps and the fact that it is side snapping. On the plus side, there is very minimal assembly required as you simply snap in the soaker and the diaper is ready to put on your baby. When you take the diaper off your baby, there is also no dis-assembly required, you can simply throw the diaper as is into the pail, saving you a few seconds at each diaper change. As the diaper is constructed with natural fibres it does take a bit longer to dry than synthetic fibres diapers. However, it is one of the fastest drying natural fibre diapers we own, due to the design of the soaker. Note - I do unsnap the soaker and rise to facilitate faster drying. [Rating: 3/5]  

Fit: I absolutely adore the fit of these on A - they are one of my top three favourite AIO diapers as far as fit is concerned. I love the sleek appearance that the side-snaps give and that there are no visible rise snaps. They are nice and trim as well and one of the first diapers I reach for to fit underneath pants. The rise on these diapers are higher than other diapers I have tried, making them a great option for tall babies/toddlers especially. The sizing is fairly generous as well and coupled with the fact that the leg elastics are not encased (making them gentler on chubbier thighs), I think these would work quite well on chunkier babies/toddlers too. The only slightly annoying part is that the hidden rise snaps causes a slight ridge in the back of the diaper, but it's not terribly noticeable and a price I'm willing to pay for the sleek appearance otherwise.  [Rating: 4.5/5]  



Value for money: Let's be honest - these are towards the higher end of the price range and even pricier when you factor in international shipping and customs. I do think the price is justified in terms of what you get - organic cotton, one-size, trim fitting, absorbent diaper. I bought the diaper shown in the photos second hand and it looks almost as good as new - the only small issue I've picked up on is that the bamboo velour isn't quite as plush as it would be when bought new. Other than that - the diaper is in excellent condition which tells me they really do stand the test of time and are easily able to be used on more than one child. I highly recommend buying these secondhand if you are not lucky enough to live in the US.  [Rating: 4/5] 

Performance: This diaper is very absorbent and we have not had any leaks with these even when I haven't changed them as regularly as I should have. I have not tried them overnight though - my guess is you would need to at least a hemp insert to use them overnight. For a daytime diaper though it is just perfect. [Rating: 5/5] 


Overall impression: I love this diaper and it is one of my very favourite ones in our stash. I would love if they came in a wider selection of prints, but that is just me being superficial. If trimness, a sleek appearance, good absorbency and natural fibres against baby's bottom is a priority for you, then this is definitely the diaper for you.  [Rating: 4.5/5] 

Bottombumpers diapers are available from most major cloth diaper retailers in the US - refer my list of retailers who ship to South Africa.  Like them on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints. There is also a b/s/t group on Facebook where you can find good deals on secondhand Bottombupers if you want to try them out without committing to the price tag.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper, was not compensated in any way for my review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and A, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, A was 18 months old and weighed 10 kg.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.