03 May 2013

Review: Grovia Hybrid OS Diaper



Description: The Grovia Hybrid Diaper is an OS AI2, consisting of a shell (cover) and a seperate snap-in insert. The shell features a TPU waterproof exterior lined with mesh on the inside. Inserts are available in either organic cotton or a stay-dry insert consisting of a hemp/cotton blend topped with microfleece. The inserts currently available are backed with TPU for double the waterproof protection. Shells are available with either velcro or snap closures and features a snap down rise with three rise settings. 

First impressions: The diaper I tried is an old version Grovia under their previous name Gro-Baby and has been in use for over three years - yet it still looks great. The elastic around the waist and legs show no sign of relaxing, while the velcro was still in a pretty good condition as well, probably the best velcro closures I have used so far (note I did convert them to snaps before these photos were taken). The cotton soaker looks to be good quality and is still fairly soft, though I'm sure not as soft as it would be when bought new. The bird print I have is a great gender neutral option which unfortunately has been discontinued, but currently available prints are even cuter. I especially like the robots print for a boy. Leg and waist elastics are slightly wider than on other diapers that I have used. The diaper looks nice and trim but I'm not a fan of the mesh interior on the shell, which seems like it wouldn't be very suitable for a re-usable cover.
[Rating: 3.5/5] 


Ease of use: This diaper is very easy to use, just snap in the soaker and put it on your baby/toddler. When you need to change your baby you can simply snap out the soaker and replace with a clean soaker, provided the shell isn't dirty. This makes it a very good option for the diaper bag as you only need to throw in an extra shell and a couple of soakers and you're good to go for a few hours without a lot of bulk in the bag. The soakers dry in a reasonable amount of time, however as they are cotton they do take longer than synthetic inserts. The shell doesn't take much time to dry at all. [Rating: 4.5/5]  

Fit: I like how these diapers fit A - they are nice and trim through the crotch and not bulky at all. They are fairly low rise which might bother you if your baby has a particularly long rise, however I prefer a shorter rise, so I like that. The wider elastics around the waist and leg openings seems to leave less red marks than other types of elastic. The sizing is definitely on the smaller side of other OS diapers, which suits A perfectly, but might not be the best option if your baby/toddler is on the larger side. I like that the soakers snap-in and don't shift around while on - even with the best efforts of a busy toddler. [Rating: 4/5]  



Value for money: The GroVia hybrid system is fairly expensive to buy within South Africa (at around R250 for just the shell). Keep in mind that Grovia uses organic cotton for their inserts, which drives the price up. The shells can also be used over padfolded flats or trifolded prefolds, making them pretty versatile. I find that the snug fit of the shells keep flats and prefolds in place quite nicely too, without having the snap-in feature of the Grovia soakers. I still think the price in South Africa is quite high though, even taking into account all of the above and you can definitely get away with cheaper hybrid options if price is a factor for you. [Rating: 2/5] 

Performance: For how trim this diaper is, it's pretty absorbent and we have not had any pee or poo leaks - everything stays inside the diaper. For dirty diapers I found that the shell often got soiled as well, which meant I could not re-use it again - this is a common issue with AI2 systems and not specific to the Grovia though. I am not a fan of the mesh interior of the shell as it's not wipeable; I think I would feel differently about this if I was using one of the newer version TPU soakers instead of the plain cotton ones that I have, as wetness would not wick onto the mesh. I have not tested it for overnight usage and don't think it would hold up as is for overnight use - you would need to add extra absorbency.   [Rating: 3.5/5] 



Overall impression: I love this diaper for it's trimness underneath clothes and for how easy it is to pack a few changes in the diaper bag when out and about, without adding a lot of bulk to the bag. I really like the way they fit A and the fact that the soaker is available in either natural fibres or with a stay-dry option, depending on your preference. If you are looking for a trim, high quality AI2 diaper for on the go changes, the Grovia Hybrid Diaper is a good bet. [Rating: 3.5/5] 

GroVia diapers are available for purchase in South Africa from Queck Baby and due to reseller restrictions, they are not available for purchase directly from the US. Also check out the b/s/t group on Facebook for good deals on pre-loved GroVia diapers if you want to try them out without the hefty price tag.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  This diaper was bought at normal retail prices and I was not compensated in any way for the review. All opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and A, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, A was 18 months old and weighed 10 kg.


1 comment:

  1. Have you posted a tutorial on how to convert to snaps? I have GroVia Hook and Loops and I'm not a fan - I'd love to convert them!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.