21 June 2013

Review: Bottombumpers sized AIO


Description: The Bottombumpers sized AIO diaper consists of a waterproof PUL outer and organic cotton inner with a 4-layer snap-in soaker made of organic cotton and topped with bamboo velour. The sized Bottombumpers is available in either a side-snapping version (similar to the OS diaper of the same brand) or a velcro closure. For this review I tested the side-snapping version.

First impressions: Bottombumpers are very well constructed and I love the fact that only organic cotton touches A's skin. The side-snaps and lack of rise snaps make for a super sleek appearance from both the front and sides and I love the range of bright colours that this diaper comes in, though I wish there were more print options. [Rating: 4/5] 



Ease of use: This diaper has a bit of a learning curve due to being side-snapping, however once you get used to it, it is super easy to use. In fact, I find side snaps to be much easier to fit onto a wriggly toddler. As its an AIO diaper, no stuffing is required before putting the diaper on your baby. Simply snap in the insert and it is ready to go on the bum. You can leave the soaker snapped in to wash and dry the diaper, though I do find that it dries a bit quicker if I unsnap the soaker when it comes out of the washing machine. As the diaper is constructed with natural fibres it does take a bit longer to dry than synthetic fibres diapers. However, it is one of the fastest drying natural fibre diapers we own, due to the design of the soaker. [Rating: 4/5]  

Fit: I absolutely adore the fit of these on A. I love the sleek appearance and the fact that they are nice and trim for those times when an overly fluffy bum won't do (for example under jeans). It features the same cute slightly ruffled back waist section that the one-size version does. Compared to the one-size version I like the fit of these a bit better, due to the fact that there is no bulge in the back for the rise adjustment and the fact that they seem better suited to a smaller baby/leaner toddler (the one-size Bottombumpers has a fairly generous fit as far as rise and waist goes). They have a higher rise than most of A's other diapers and a lovely narrow fit through the crotch - perfect for smaller babies and busy toddlers. A still has plenty of room to grow in the size mediums and I don't foresee us having to buy large before she potty trains. [Rating: 4.5/5]  



Value for money: Sized diapers require a bigger upfront investment than one-size diapers, however they also suffer less wear and tear, which means they can successfully be used to diaper more babies and/or will fetch a higher resale value when your baby is out of diapers. For what you get - organic cotton, trim fit, great absorbency - I think these are fairly priced and if I lived in the US I would jump at the chance of buying a whole lot more of these. However, factor in shipping and an unfavourable exchange rate (*sob*) and it starts to get a quite pricey to buy a big stash of these when you live outside the US. These diapers really do hold up very well though and so I have absolutely no problem in buying them secondhand to save money - in fact I did so with this diaper and it looks almost as good as new. [Rating: 3/5] 

Performance: This diaper is very absorbent and we have not had any leaks with these even when I haven't changed them as regularly as I should have. I have not tried them overnight though - my guess is you would need to at least a hemp insert to use them overnight. For a daytime diaper though it is just perfect and I find myself reaching for these when I need a dependable trim diaper. [Rating: 5/5] 



Overall impression: I love this diaper and it is fast becoming one of my all-time favourites in our stash. If trimness, a sleek appearance, good absorbency and natural fibres against baby's bottom is a priority for you, then this is definitely the diaper for you. I do prefer the fit of the sized AIO over the one-size Bottombumpers, however if cost is an issue then I would definitely recommend the one-size option.  [Rating: 4/5] 

Bottombumpers diapers are available from most major cloth diaper retailers in the US - refer my list of retailers who ship to South Africa.  Like them on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints. There is also a b/s/t group on Facebook where you can find good deals on secondhand Bottombumpers if you want to try them out without committing to the price tag.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper, was not compensated in any way for my review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and A, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, A was 19 months old and weighed 10.5 kg.




1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.