05 November 2013

Review: Grovia AIO Diaper



Description: The Grovia AIO is a one size diaper, consisting of a TPU exterior, lined with organic jersey cotton and with a sewn in soaker made of the same organic cotton. It comes with a snap-in booster in the same fabric. The diaper features stretchy waist tabs and a side snapping closure with two rows of snaps - one to adjust the waist size and one to adjust for hips/legs. The length of the diaper is adjustable via a snap-down rise which has three rise settings.

First impressions: The owl print pictured here is super cute in real life and I confess it's one of the things that first attracted me to this diaper. The waist tabs are super stretchy (think lycra/swimsuit type fabric) and the cotton inner is nice and soft. The leg elastics seem fairly tight, while the snaps seem very durable. I like the fact that the booster snaps into the sewn-in soaker - there is no guesswork involved here. [Rating: 4.5/5] 


Ease of use: This diaper is pretty easy to use, simply snap in the booster if using (for a smaller baby you could probably get away with just using the sewn-in soaker) and put it on your baby/toddler. Side snaps have a bit of a learning curve, mainly because most other diapers come with a front snapping waist closure, so it's something different to get used to for most parents. However, once you use it once or twice you quickly get the hang of it and the stretchy tabs make it very easy to put on and get a nice customised fit on your baby/toddler. When you take the diaper off your baby, no dis-assembly is required, you can simply throw the diaper as is into the pail. The diaper dries in a reasonable amount of time, not as long as some other AIOs I've tried, but as it contains natural fibres, it does take longer than the average stay-dry pocket with microfibre insert. [Rating: 4/5]  

Fit: I absolutely love the fit of these on A - what can I say, I'm a huge fan of side snaps for a sleek look across the tummy and a diaper with a narrow crotch like this one. The lack of bulk between her legs as well as the overall trimness of the diaper is a huge plus in my books. I love the stretchy tabs - which also gives you the option of using this diaper as a pull-up for toddlers who refuses to lie still for a diaper change. Or alternatively as a potty training pant. Initially I was concerned that the tight leg elastics would leave marks on her legs, but we haven't had any problems in this regard. [Rating: 5/5]   



Value for money: These are average price for an AIO, however with shipping cost added they do become fairly expensive to buy if you live in South Africa. They are exceptional quality though and I think they would easily see you through more than one child without much sign of wear and tear. Realistically though, and given the high shipping charges and unfavourable exchange rate, I don't see many people getting a full stash of Grovias. Bear in mind that you can opt to buy secondhand, which makes it much more affordable to add one or two to your stash to use as a going-out diaper. [Rating: 3/5] 

Performance: I use the Grovia with the added snap-in soaker as a daytime diaper for my toddler and it holds up beautifully! We can easily get 3 hours of wear in this diaper without any leaks - for a diaper this trim, that is truly awesome. I did not test it for overnight use, but am fairly certain you'd need to add extra absorbency to get you through the night with dry sheets. The seal around the legs is very good and it does a brilliant job at containing runny poo as well. [Rating: 5/5] 

Overall impression: This is an awesome diaper, my only issue is the high cost when you take shipping and customs into account. If I lived in the US, I'm pretty sure these would make up a big part of my stash. But for now, I have to be content with snapping up secondhand ones when I find a good deal. [Rating: 4/5] 

Grovia AIOs are unfortunately not available to buy in South Africa (Queck Baby used to sell them, but I believe they are no longer selling Grovia). They also carry shipping restrictions, so it is not possible to buy a brandnew one to import. They can be purchased off Spots Corner as well as the various b/s/t groups on Facebook. Like them on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints (or South African resellers *cough*).

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper, was not compensated in any way for the review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and A, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, A was 2 years old and weighed 11.5 kg.

1 comment:

  1. Hi :) I think this may need an update since Little Sam's does indeed stock Grovia. I know that this was written a while ago but I stumbled across it because I wanted to see a review on this nappy :)... Tasneem :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.