18 November 2013

Review: Snappy Nappy



Description: The Snappy Nappy system is an all-in-two (AI2) or hybrid system which means that it consists of a seperate waterproof cover (or shell) with snap-in inserts. The cover is made of a double layer of PUL and features double leg gussets and contrasting binding around the edges. The cover features four rise snaps on the front to adjust in size from small baby to toddler and fastens with snaps around the waist. Inserts are made of microfibre and topped with microfleece. The inserts snap into the cover via one snap at the front and back of the diaper.  Inserts are sized and available in small, medium and large.

First impressions: The cover seems a bit stiff, but very durable. I like the contrasting binding around the edges and the matching snaps. It reminds me a lot of the US Best Bottoms system, though the colour selection is a lot more limited. The fleece topped insert is quite soft and it seems that it would be very comfortable against baby's bum. I like the fact that the inserts are sized, because it means you don't have to fold anything over to fit into the smaller cover settings. [Rating: 3/5] 


Ease of use: These are super easy to use - just snap in the insert and there you go. I think it's quicker to snap in an insert than to stuff a pocket, so in that sense I would place it between a pocket and an AIO on the ease-of-use scale (with an AIO being the easiest to use). As the inserts are sized you don't have to fold anything over - it's literally just snap in and go, making it a very daddy and daycare friendly option. When the diaper needs to be changed, you simply snap out the insert, snap another one in and put it back on your baby. Obviously if the cover is soiled you would throw it in the pail. [Rating: 4.5/5]  

Fit: The fact that there is four rise settings as well as crossover waist tabs enables you to achieve a wider range of fit than the traditional three rise settings. I struggled initially to get a good fit around A's legs - until I realised that I was using the wrong size insert. She is currently on the second largest rise setting and when we use the medium insert it pulls down on the front of the nappy so that I'm not able to adjust it properly to get a tight seal around the legs. When using the size large insert this problem is mostly solved - there is still a very tiny gap right at the top of the leg hole, but nothing like we were experiencing when using the medium insert. The photos in this review was taken with the size medium insert - notice the bunching around the legs which is solved when using the correct size insert. I like the fact that there is an extra elastic at the back waist - similar to the double gussets around the legs. This would be an extra barrier to keep runny ebf poop where it belongs - inside the nappy (note I have not tested the performance of this nappy with an ebf baby). The Snappy Nappy system is fairly trim when just using one insert, which is normally fine for us for daytime use (although with a heavier wetter you might find you need to change quite frequently or double up on the inserts which would obviously make it bulkier). [Rating: 4/5] 


Value for money: These are excellent value for money - you can buy a full stash of 6 covers and 24 inserts for just over R1,300.  For overnight use you'd need to add one of their overnight inserts as well, so add on an extra four of those for full time use. These are definitely one of the most affordable cloth diapering options out there and a great option if you are on a tight budget. [Rating: 5/5] 

Performance: We have not had any issues performance wise - no leaks. With only one microfiber insert I did find that I had to change before two hours, but this is no different to any other diaper with just one microfiber insert and has only recently become an issue with the quantity of toddler pee that A is producing now. For a younger baby these should easily hold up for 2 - 3 hours. I tried the Snappy Nappy with the daytime insert as well as the overnight insert for night time use and was very impressed that it  kept A dry the whole night long. I'm not a fan of exposed PUL against her skin for such a long stretch though, so prefer to use this system for day time only.
 [Rating: 3.5/5] 





Overall impression: I love the ease of use of the Snappy Nappy and how little space it takes up in the diaper bag. The price is excellent too and I would definitely recommend it for those on a tight budget. When it comes to AI2 diapers, I still prefer the Best Bottoms system (the cover is a little softer and more pliable vs the stiffer Snappy Nappy cover), but Snappy Nappy is a great local, affordable alternative for those who don't want to or are unable to import nappies. [Rating: 3.5/5] 

PS: Snappy Nappy inserts fit perfectly into Best Bottom covers as well, so if you need more stay-dry inserts for your Best Bottoms covers, these are perfect for the job. Do note though that the size medium Best Bottom insert is equivalent to the size large Snappy Nappy insert.

Snappy Nappy diapers are available on their website or from Doodlebums Diapers

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper, was not compensated in any way for my review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and A, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, A was 2 years old and weighed 11.5 kg.





4 comments:

  1. Hi
    Would you please share some of the websites you'll be getting specials from. I used disposables on my first baby but decided to CD my second. She's now 6 weeks old and I've been using flats in the hope of getting some special deals with the black friday & Christmas promotions. I don't mind paying for shiping from the US to SA. Hope you'll be willing to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marche, that's a great idea. Watch this space for a post going up on Thursday about upcoming specials. PS: Well done on taking the plunge into CD! Hope you will love it as much as I do.

      Delete
  2. Where are these diapers made? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a parent, I have knowledge on different types of nappies and diapers. These are the essential product for our babies; therefore, we are looking for suitable and essential baby nappies and diapers. Here I am really impressed with the review of this snappy nappy. It consists of good features.
    Baby Diaper

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.