10 December 2013

Review: Hippie Safari Fleece Soaker



Description: The Cosy Creations Fleece soaker is a waterproof cover for use over a prefold or fitted, made of fleece with an extra layer of fleece in the wetzone to prevent leaks. This is a sized soaker, meaning you'll have to buy different sizes as your baby grows. 

First impressions: The soaker is very basic in construction, but seems well made and comes in various prints for boys or girls. The Hello Kitty print that A is wearing in these pics are a particular favourite of hers at the moment. The fleece is nice and soft without feeling too bulky or too flimsy. [Rating: 4/5] 



Ease of use: These are super easy to use - simply pull up like pants over your choice of nappy. I like that they can be worn as pajama bottoms on hot summer nights - no need for extra pants on top. They dry super fast - in fact they come out of the spin cycle on our washing machine virtually dry. Note that this is not absorbent worn on it's own, but is meant to be used as a waterproof cover over an absorbent diaper eg a fitted or prefold (or even a pocket diaper for extra insurance against leaks). [Rating: 5/5]  

Fit: A currently wears either a medium long (over a snappi'd prefold or less bulky fitted during the day) or a size large over her night time (ie bulkier) fitteds. We get a good fit with them - the sizing is such that it will comfortably cover the diaper underneath, but still give a snug fit on your baby. For the size large, the leg openings are slightly big on A (she has slim legs though), but we've never had leaking because of it. They are available from a size small, which is rated to fit a newborn to a size extra large, so you should be able to get the perfect size to fit your baby/toddler. You can also ask to have a soaker custom made to your measurements if you have a particularly big toddler.  [Rating: 4/5] 


Value for money: At R80 a soaker, I think these are great value for money and certainly cheaper than most other covers you can purchase locally. This makes it a very cost effective option for budget conscious parents. I must add that the fabric does pill over time, however this is normal with fleece and doesn't affect function at all. [Rating: 4/5] 

Performance: I'm very happy with the performance of the Hippie Safari fleece soakers. They keep moisture locked inside and keep the bed dry. Best of all is they are much more breathable than PUL covers (though less breathable than wool) and so we never have issues with redness in the morning when A wears one of these at night over a fitted diaper. Even when the diaper underneath is soaking these are just slighly damp on the inside and I can simply let them air and re-use them a couple more nights before I have to wash them. Just like wool soakers, I must admit the functioning of fleece soakers also baffles me - I'm not sure how it keeps moisture inside, but it just does! 
 [Rating: 5/5]


Overall impression: These soakers form an integral part of our night time cloth diapering solution and although I was hesitant about using fleece or wool at first, I have come to prefer them over PUL covers, especially for night time, because they are much more breathable. I love that I don't have to worry about A's skin being irritated and red in the morning. I also love the ease of use (they are very daddy-friendly!) and the affordable price. Of course, the cute prints don't hurt either. ;-) I highly recommend them. [Rating: 4.5/5] 

Hippie Safari fleece soakers are available exclusively from Doodlebums

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received this soaker free of charge, but was not compensated in any way for my review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and A, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, A was 2 years old and weighed 11.5 kg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.