19 May 2014

{Newborn fluff} Review: Bumgenius Newborn AIO

Bumgenius Newborn AIO on J at 3.8kg and 54cm
Description: The Bumgenius Newborn AIO is a sized (x-small) all-in-one diaper aimed at newborns. It consists of a waterproof PUL outer and a suedecloth interior lining. There are layers of microfibre sewn in between the two fabrics, which provides absorbency. The diaper closes with velcro tabs around the waist and has no rise adjustments.

First impressions: This is a pretty plain looking diaper - no bells or whistles. It has the signature stretchy waist tabs that all the Bumgenius products feature and the diaper seems well-made and super trim. Crotch width and leg openings seems a bit bigger than the other newborn diapers I have. [Rating: 3.5/5] 

Bumgenius Newborn AIO on J at 3.8kg and 54cm
Ease of use: You don't get easier than this - the all-in-one design and velcro closures means these go on just like a disposable. If ever you needed a new-daddy friendly diaper, this is it. The most complicated part of using this diaper is simply to remember to affix the velcro tabs to the laundry tab on the inside back of the diaper, otherwise you'll get diaper chains in the wash. The diaper washes up very well and drying time was pretty good as well, considering it's an AIO. [Rating: 5/5]  

Fit: These started fitting J at 2.6kg, though I had to be careful initially to close the waist tabs exactly right to avoid leg gap. Keep in mind he did have skinny little chicken legs at that stage though - see pic below. The diaper was very trim on - probably one of the trimmest newborn diapers that we tried - and fit very well underneath preemie and newborn clothes. No bulky fluff bum here! J outgrew these at roughly 2.5 months and weighing 5.2kg.[Rating: 4/5]  

Bumgenius Newborn AIO on J at 2.6kg and 50cm
Value for money: Although they're average price for a newborn AIO/pocket, considering their lack of absorbency I personally don't think they're worth the money. I would rather try to get some pre-loved or on sale if I was dead set on using them. [Rating: 3.5/5] 

Performance: These worked okay, but weren't bulletproof - we experienced a few pee leaks over the two months that we used them. In this case, the price you pay for trimness is a diaper that needs to be changed more frequently - I'd say every 1.5 to 2 hours vs other diapers that are able to last 2 - 3 hours. Having said that, we've never had any poo leaks, so that is a plus point. 
[Rating: 3/5]

Bumgenius Newborn AIO on J at  4.6kg and 55cm
Overall impression: I wanted to love these as much as I love their OS diapers, but it just didn't live up to my expectations. While it was super easy to use and dried relatively quickly (for an AIO anyway), I was just never confident to use it when out and about as I wasn't sure when it was going to leak. I will say that it's a great option to use underneath those teeny tiny newborn clothes though, as it's so trim. 

Bumgenius newborn diapers are available from local resellers The Real Nappy Company.  

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received this diaper as a gift from a friend, received no compensation for my review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was between 3 and 8 weeks old and his weight ranged between 2.6kg and 4.6kg. 

Bumgenius Newborn AIO on J at 3.8kg and 54cm

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.