08 May 2014

{Newborn fluff} Review: Charlie Banana Newborn Pocket Diaper

Charlie Banana Newborn pocket on J at 2.5 months (5.2kg and 56cm)
Description: The Charlie Banana newborn pocket diaper is a sized (x-small) pocket diaper aimed at newborns. It consists of a waterproof PUL outer and a microfleece interior lining. There is a pocket opening in the front with one small microfibre insert to stuff into the pocket. As this is a sized diaper, there is no rise adjustment. The diaper closes with a single row of snaps around the waist.


First impressions: I absolutely love the bright colours of the Charlie Banana range (not to mention the cute prints) and the bright orange that I received to review just makes me smile every time I put it on J. Like the OS pocket, the microfleece interior is super soft and I can just imagine how nice it must feel on that sensitive newborn skin. The diaper is well-made, like I've come to expect of this brand. It features the same wide waist elastic used in the OS pocket, though I did note that the leg and waist elastics seem more relaxed than other diapers I've tried. [Rating: 4/5] 

Charlie Banana Newborn pocket on J at 2.5 months (5.2kg and 56cm)
Ease of use: These are super easy to use - just place the insert in the pocket opening and put the diaper on your baby. With a single row of snaps around the waist and no need to adjust the rise, there isn't a lot of guesswork in putting this diaper on. Another bonus is that I found the pocket easy to stuff - I had some trouble stuffing other brands of newborn pockets, so it was nice not to have to struggle with this one too. For reference, I would say I have average sized hands. When the diaper needs to be changed, you simply remove the insert and throw both insert and shell into the pail. Drying time was fast for both the shell and the insert - a fact which you appreciate even more considering the amount of diapers a newborn goes through per day. [Rating: 4.5/5]  

Fit: I received and first tried these out when J was 7 weeks old and weighed 3.5kg. We had the slightest of leg gaps in the beginning; however do bear in mind that J was quite skinny for his length (54cm) at that stage and had skinny little chicken legs to match. By the time he was over 3.8kg though (at the rate he was growing that was within a week), the diaper fit perfectly, no leg gaps.  The stretchy PUL and thin insert makes for a nice trim fit on my little guy. Even though the elastics in the waist and legs are quite gentle/relaxed, they seal well in both areas to keep everything in that should stay in.  [Rating: 3.5/5]  

Charlie Banana newborn pocket on J at 7 weeks (3.5kg & 54cm)
Value for money: These aren't the cheapest newborn diapering option, but they are certainly not the most expensive either. As far as pockets/AIOs go, they are average price and for the quality you are getting, I think they're worth the money. They still fit J now at over 5kg so we've had about a month's use out of them already and he still has plenty of room to grow. Would I buy a full stash of these? Probably not due to money constraints, but it's nice to have a few for easy diaper changes in the middle of the night or to show off your newborn's cute fluffy bum.  [Rating: 3.5/5] 

Performance: Initially we experienced leaks, which could be ascribed to the slight leg gaps we had in the beginning - J peed straight out the gap and the insert was still dry. Once they fit perfectly around the legs though, they held up pretty well, lasting 2 - 3 hours before needing to be changed. J has started outpeeing some of his newborn diapers once he hit ten weeks though, and Charlie Banana is unfortunately one of them. So we get about an hour max out of these at the moment, using the microfibre insert it comes with. As it's a pocket diaper though, there is the option of increasing absorbency by way of additional inserts stuffed inside the pocket. I'm happy to report that to date it has kept his runny ebf poo in. These wash up quite well too - and after a month's use they still look brand new. 
[Rating: 3.5/5] 


Charlie Banana Newborn pocket on J at 2.5 months (5.2kg and 56cm)
Overall impression:  It's not my favourite diaper in my newborn stash, but still it is a very nice newborn diaper. It has a clean look, is easy to use and gives a nice trim fit. I love the bright colours and cute prints that these come in and think they're a nice addition to any newborn stash. 

Charlie Banana newborn diapers are available from local resellers Tiny Hiney. Like them on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints. 

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received this diaper free of charge for purposes of this review, but received no other compensation for my review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was between 7 and 11 weeks old and his weight ranged between 3.5kg and 5.2kg. 



2 comments:

  1. Cutie pie! I never did cloth nappies but I really like the bright colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving orange on him! Think I must get some OS ones in this colour.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.