11 June 2014

Review: Buttons Two-in-One System


Description: The Buttons system is an all-in-two (AI2) system which means that it consists of a seperate waterproof cover (or shell) with snap-in inserts. The cover is made of a double layer of PUL and features double leg gussets. The shell has colour matching snaps and binding around the edges. The cover features three rise snaps on the front to adjust in size from small baby to toddler and fastens with snaps around the waist. Inserts are made of microfibre and topped with microfleece*. They inserts snap into the cover using a snap at the front and at the back of the cover.  Inserts are sized and available in either small or large.

First impressions: I was really curious to see how these compare to Best Bottoms and have to say they look really similar. Obvious differences are the slightly thinner PUL on Buttons, which makes the cover really stretchy and the fact that it has three rise snap settings versus Best Bottoms' four. The cut of the cover is virtually identical to Best Bottoms and the inserts look very similar too, except for the fact that Best Bottoms come in three sizes, while Buttons only offer two. Both inserts and shell seem to be very well made and I would say the quality is on par with that of Best Bottoms. [Rating: 4/5] 


Ease of use: These are super easy to use - just snap in the insert and there you go. I think it's quicker to snap in an insert than to stuff a pocket, so in that sense I would place it between a pocket and an AIO on the ease-of-use scale (with an AIO being the easiest to use). I love the fact that the inserts are sized, because you don't have to fold anything over to fit into the smaller cover settings - it's literally just snap in and go. When the diaper needs to be changed, you can simply snap out the insert, snap another one in and put it back on your baby. Obviously if the cover is soiled you would throw it in the pail. Both cover and inserts dry really fast, which is a bonus especially in winter. [Rating: 4.5/5]  



Fit: I loooove how stretchy these covers are - I feel that it actually gives us a slightly better fit than my beloved Best Bottoms. If you know how much I love the fit of Best Bottoms, you'll know that's high praise! I am able to get a nice fit on the smallest rise setting on J at three months old as well as on A at 2.5 yo on the largest rise setting. If I'm honest though, I do prefer the fit on the smaller rise settings a bit more (I find the same to be true with Best Bottoms). The Buttons system is very trim and I love that the inserts are sized to avoid extra bulk. Because the cover is so stretchy I found that it worked over a variety of absorbent inners - from inserts to fitteds. I even managed to stretch it over my toddler's nighttime fitted, but it was a pretty snug fit. The double leg gussets provide a good seal around both my kids' legs - nothing is going to escape there! At the same time it is gentle enough not to leave red marks. [Rating: 4.5/5]  

Value for money: These are great value for money and gets cheaper the more you buy as you only need about 6 covers for a full-time stash paired with four inserts each. If your baby is a frequent pooper you might need more covers though, so keep that in mind. For overnight use you'd need to add one of their overnight inserts. [Rating: 5/5] 



Performance: I am very happy with the performance of this diaper. I tested it with the large microfibre insert on A and it is able to last 2 hours before needing to be changed. It is fairly saturated at that point, so ideally I would upgrade to the natural fibre inserts for her once they're launched.* 
 I consider A to be an average wetter for her age. The cover also does an excellent job at containing runny ebf poop - J, being an overachiever, went over and above the call of duty in testing this. I tried the stay-dry insert with its matching overnight insert on A and surprisingly we had no leaks. I'm not a fan of exposed PUL against her skin for such a long stretch though, so we prefer to use this system for day time only.  But it is nice to have a backup overnight diaper option for those rainy days when there are no clean fitteds! [Rating: 4/5] 



Overall impression: I love Buttons! They provide the same awesome fit as Best Bottoms - actually slightly better - and they're available locally. Double win! They are trim, dry fast and a great option for the diaper bag or traveling. While I love the current colours I'd love to see even more options available as well as more prints. I love that the inserts and covers can be used interchangeably with Best Bottoms and Snappy Nappy and I'm also really excited about the natural fibre inserts launching soon - I'm guessing that will make these even trimmer and more absorbent. Even without it these have become a firm favourite in our stash and I will definitely be getting some more - I have my eye on that pretty Marina cover!

* Buttons will be launching natural fibre inserts soon, so keep an eye out for that. 

Buttons diapers are available locally from Tiny Hiney. Like Buttons and Tiny Hiney on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received a cover and two inserts free of charge for purposes of this review, but was not compensated in any other way for my review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and A, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time of this review, J was three months old and weighed 6.3kg, while A was 2.5 years old and weighed 12.5kg. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.