04 June 2014

{Newborn fluff} Review: Blueberry Mini Coverall

Blueberry Mini Coverall on J at 3.8kg and 54cm
Description: The Blueberry mini coverall is a miniature version of the one-size coverall and is designed to be used throughout the newborn period. It is a cover and can be used over any prefold, flat, fitted or insert of your choice. The Blueberry mini coverall is made from a single layer of PUL and features double leg gussets. It comes in either snaps or Velcro closures. The Velcro option comes with laundry tabs. This cover has three rows of snaps on the front to adjust the rise. For purposes of this review, I tested the Velcro version. 


First impressions: It's pretty obvious from the first glance and feel that this is a quality product. The Velcro seems very sturdy without being scratchy and Blueberry has some of the best prints out there. I mean how cute is the (discontinued *sob*) Messy Hands print that J is sporting in these photos? The PUL is soft and thin and the co-ordinating binding around the edges makes for a nice finish. [Rating: 5/5] 


Blueberry Mini Coverall on J at 3.8kg and 54cm
Ease of use: These are quite straightforward to use - simply adjust the rise snaps to the correct setting for your baby (typically you'll start out at the lowest settings and work your way up as baby grows) and then fasten over the prefold/flat your baby is wearing underneath. The Velcro version is a few seconds quicker to put on than snaps which makes them awesome for those middle of the night diaper changes. I liked that the laundry tab area was fairly big, so it was easy to affix the Velcro tabs to it when taking off the cover. The Blueberry mini coverall is easy to wash (you could even handwash them quite easily) and the single layer of PUL means they dry super fast. [Rating: 4/5]  

Fit: These fit J at 1.5 weeks old and still fit him now at 14 weeks (6.3kg). The fit has been consistently good from the beginning and if I had to choose the best fitting cover throughout the whole newborn period, this would probably be it. They are rated to fit from 2.7kg (6 lbs) to 8.1kg (18lbs), though they fit perfectly around J's little skinny chicken legs at only 2.2kg (under 5lbs). I think the upper limit sounds quite realistic as J has just moved up to the biggest rise setting in these at three months and 6.3kg. I really appreciated the crossover Velcro tabs when we started using these - J needed that to get a perfect fit around his waist. They are the perfect middle ground between snug and roomy as far as covers go, which makes them really versatile in terms of what you can use underneath them. I find these covers work well over prefolds (I used both the preemie prefolds and the size small prefolds from Imagine) as well as newborn fitteds.  [Rating: 5/5]  


Blueberry Mini Coverall on J at 3.8kg and 54cm
Value for money: These are on the higher end of the scale in terms of price, but considering the wide range of fit (I'm guessing we'll be able to use these for at least another month, so that's four months in total) and their versatility in terms of what you can use underneath the cover, I think they are well worth it. The quality also really shows in the Velcro used - three months down the line it is showing no signs of wear, which is amazing. [Rating: 5/5] 

Performance: The Blueberry Mini coverall is bulletproof for us - absolutely no leaks of the pee or poo variety. Obviously you need to use an absorbent enough diaper underneath the cover, but provided you have that, this cover will not let you down.  
[Rating: 5/5] 

Blueberry Mini Coverall on J at 2.4kg and 50cm

Overall impression: I expected to love my Thirsties Duo Wraps the most (they were all I used with A and I loved them at the time), but the Blueberry surpassed them. The fit is awesome, the quality is great and the performance is excellent. There really was nothing I did not love about this cover. Great buy and I would definitely buy them again. 

Blueberry Mini Coveralls are available from various resellers (I usually order from Nicki's Diapers). Like Blueberry on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints. 

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper, received no compensation for my review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was between 3 and 14 weeks old and his weight ranged between 2.4kg and 6.3kg.

Blueberry Mini Coverall on J at 6.3kg and 61cm

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.