19 June 2014

{Newborn fluff} Review: Thirsties Duo Wrap

Thirsties Duo Wrap (size one) on J at 3.8kg and 54cm
Description: Thirsies Duo Wraps are a two-size (instead of one-size) system of covers. Size one is meant for newborns and younger babies, while size two will fit older babies and toddlers. It is a cover and can be used over any prefold, flat, fitted or insert of your choice. The Thirsties Duo Wrap is made from a single layer of PUL and features double leg gussets. It comes in either snaps or Velcro closures. The Velcro option comes with laundry tabs. This cover has three rows of snaps on the front to adjust the rise. For purposes of this review, I tested both snaps and Velcro versions in size one.  



First impressions: I bought these covers when pregnant with A and at the time thought they were excellent quality (having only pep covers to compare it to at the time!). I still think these are great quality covers, thin without being flimsy and well made in terms of snaps and elastic used. I like the look of the signature white binding on Thirsties diapers. The older style Velcro is softer and narrower, while the new Velcro is wider and sturdier. I like the range of colours that these covers are available in and they have a few cute prints too, though I wouldn't mind a bit more variety on that front. [Rating: 4.5/5] 

Thirsties Duo Wrap (size one) on J at 2.3kg & 46cm
Ease of use: These are quite straightforward to use - simply adjust the rise snaps to the correct setting for your baby (typically you'll start out at the lowest settings and work your way up as baby grows) and then fasten over the prefold/flat your baby is wearing underneath. The Velcro version is a few seconds quicker to put on than snaps which makes them awesome for those middle of the night diaper changes. The Thirsties Duo Wrap is easy to wash (you could even handwash them quite easily) and the single layer of PUL means they dry super fast. [Rating: 4/5]  

Fit: These fit J at 1.5 weeks old and still fit him now at 15 weeks (6.5kg). The cover looked slightly baggy on at first, though it sealed well around the legs. Note my snaps covers pictured here has added cross over snaps on the wings - this was customized for me by a friend and helped reduce some of the bagginess at first and get a good fit around the waist. J was pretty small though, you wouldn't need this for the average fullterm baby. I used these on A (born at 2.9kg) from one week old and they were slightly baggy at first but a great fit around waist and legs. They are rated to fit from 2.7kg (6 lbs) to 8.1kg (18lbs) and I would say they fit pretty true to size at the lower limit, but A outgrew these before she reached the upper weight limit and J will outgrow them very soon too - I would say probably by 7kg. These covers fit more snugly than the sized Thirsties covers and I think they're better suited to snappi'd or trifolded prefolds and flats vs fitteds. I did use them over fitteds when J was still using the smallest and middle rise settings, but then I had to go up a rise setting. Since he is already on the last rise setting these don't fit over (most) fitteds anymore. [Rating: 4/5]  

Thirsties Duo Wrap (size one) on J at 3.8kg and 54cm
Value for money: These are well priced and I consider them good value for money as they can be used a little bit past the newborn stage using the rise adjustments. In my experience they don't fit up to the upper weight limit though, so if you're looking for a true two-sized system you might be disappointed. For newborn diapering though they are excellent and will definitely last until your baby comfortably fits in OS diapers. [Rating: 4.5/5] 

Performance: The Thirsties Duo Wrap has never disappointed when it comes to keeping in pee and poop. Even the biggest poopsplosions are contained in this cover, thanks to those amazing double gussets. The covers still look pretty good after using them on both A and J, though I did find the old version of the Velcro wore out after about three months. They seem to have solved this issue with the new Velcro used on the current covers though. Obviously you need to use an absorbent enough diaper underneath the cover, but provided you have that, this cover will not let you down.  
[Rating: 5/5] 

Thirsties Duo Wrap (size one) on J at 3.8kg and 54cm
Overall impression: I absolutely loved these when A was a newborn and used them on her pretty much exclusively for the first four months. They are still excellent covers and I reach for them often for J as well. They work really well, look cute on and I love how fast they dry because of the thin PUL. A great budget-conscious option for cloth diapering a newborn. 

Thirsties Duo Wraps are available from various resellers (I usually order from Nicki's Diapers). Like Thirsties on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints. 

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper, received no compensation for my review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was between 3 and 14 weeks old and his weight ranged between 2.4kg and 6.3kg.

Thirsties Duo Wrap (size one) on J at 6.3kg and 61cm

4 comments:

  1. I like your blog a lot, helpful information and I get sentimental cos I know the babies in the pic and the mom ;). However, I would have also liked to see photographs of the inside parts (the diaper wrapped open etc). Most of the time it is a bit of a guessing game and I have to try and derive from the diaper's name (and your text) what it might look like on the inside. For someone totally new to this it is difficult to imagine what all inserts might look like etc.

    Also, does each brand have their own washing instructions or do you use generic procedures for each type of fabric?

    Must admit, I have not read all the posts yet, I read as I find time, just my prelim observations about your posts :) so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! Definitely something to consider for future.

      Delete
  2. This is just what I wanted!!!! My first was itty bitty and now that i'm expecting my second I just cant find a tiny cover I'm in love with. I currently use the duo size 2 with my toddler and oh my gosh its looooove! I have a small stash of the size 1 and was wondering what on earth I would do until my squish fit into them (the legs, sure theyre small but the waist - no waaaay that would fit a 5-6 lbs baby right?) BUT THE CROSS OVER SNAP MODIFICATION!!! I just so happen to have snaps and a snap press sitting in my craft room right now. Youre awesome :D This post is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help! The cross-over snap on the waist worked super well for us, hope it's the same for you. :-)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.