09 June 2014

Review: Flip Hybrid Diaper System


Description: The Flip Hybrid Diaper System is an all-in-two (AI2) or hybrid system which means that it consists of a seperate waterproof cover (or shell) with inserts. The cover is made of a single layer of PUL and features flaps on the inside front and back edges which holds the inserts in place. The cover features a snap-down rise on the front (three rise settings) and comes with the option of either velcro or snaps to close around the waist. Inserts are one-size and available in either a stay-dry option (microfibre topped with microsuede) or an organic cotton jersey. 

First impressions: The Flip system is the same great quality that I've come to expect from all the Cottonbabies brands (Bumgenius, Econobum). The cover has the same signature stretchy tabs that I love on my Bumgenius diapers and the cover looks very similar in cut to Bumgenius 4.0 pockets and the new Bumgenius Elemental.  The PUL is thinner than I expected - very similar to an Econobum cover. I like the fact that the snaps match the colour of the PUL exactly - it's the small details that make a difference. The insert is topped with the same smooth microsuede found in their pockets, and I like that it has indentations in the insert to make for easy sizing between small, medium and large (you simply fold the insert on the indentations).  [Rating: 4/5] 


Ease of use: Being an AI2 system, these require you to firstly size the cover (adjust via rise snaps on the front) and secondly place the insert (folded down to size if cover is on smallest or middle rise settings) underneath the flaps inside before fastening the diaper onto baby. The entire process is fairly quick and easy and I like that you don't have to think too much about the sizing of the insert - simply use the indentations as guide. I did find that because the insert doesn't snap in, that it sometimes shifted around while trying to put a diaper on A, so I would have to rearrange the insert and try again (after going on a wild goose chase through the house to hunt A down again). I think if the flap in the back was a tad longer it would hold the insert in place a bit better to eliminate this issue. As for drying time, the cover dries super fast and the insert dries fairly fast as well, which is awesome especially in our rainy winters. [Rating: 3.5/5]

Fit: All the Bumgenius products we've tried so far has been a great fit on A, and Flip is no different. Those stretchy tabs makes it easy to get the diaper on a wriggly toddler (yay!) and still get a good fit around the waist. The leg elastics are gentle, while still providing a good seal around A's legs. I was surprised by how trim Flip was on A - not quite as trim as the Elemental, but definitely trimmer than the 4.0 pocket diaper. Because of how trim the insert is, A can wear these on the middle rise setting, whereas she is on the biggest rise setting in most other OS diapers. Because of the trim fit I found these great to use under slimmer fitting clothes.  [Rating: 4/5]  


Value for money: These are pretty good value for money, especially if you buy one of the packs where you get 6 inserts and 2 covers for R680 - so it works out to just over R100 per change, cheaper than most pockets. For the quality you are getting, it's really worth it. The only hitch you might have if is your baby/toddler is a frequent pooper and you get poop on the cover every single time. But this would be an issue with any AI2 system and then it's probably not the best system for you and your baby.  [Rating: 4/5] 

Performance: I expected to have to change these within the hour as they are just microfibre and with A's toddler wees I usually have to add natural fibres if I want it to last 2 - 3 hours before changing. BUT, I'm pleased to say that these performed just as well as our other diapers and I could keep to my regular 2 - 2.5 hour changing routine without risking leaks. Now granted, the insert was fairly saturated at that point, but we had no leaks. It kept poo contained as well. I definitely wouldn't use these overnight and they are certainly not the most absorbent diaper we own, but for daytime they work great. I consider A to be an average wetter, so if you have a heavy wetter you will probably need to change more often.
[Rating: 4/5] 



Overall impression: I love the trim fit, the signature great Bumgenius fit, those lovely stretchy tabs and how easy it is to size the inserts down. I really wish that back flap was a bit longer to hold the insert in place better - it would make diaper changes a lot easier with a squirmy toddler. But for the price, I think these are a worthwhile buy and a great way to bulk up your stash.

Flip diapers are available directly from South African resellers The Real Nappy Company or on Doodlebums

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I borrowed this diaper in order to do the review, was not compensated in any way for my review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and A, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, A was 27 months old and weighed approximately 11.5kg.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.