28 July 2014

Review: Snugglybum Double Gusset Pocket Diaper


Description: The Snugglybum double gusset pocket diaper consists of a waterproof PUL outer and microsuede inner with a four layer bamboo and microfibre insert.  The diaper has a sleeve style pocket which means it is open at both the front and back with a snap in front allowing you to snap the insert in. This diaper has an interior double gusset (similar to Rumparooz and THX) to keep runny poop contained. They feature a snap-down rise with four different size settings as well as three snaps on each wing (one of them a hip snap) to fasten the diaper around the waist. It also features cross-over snaps on the waist tabs to accommodate tiny waists.

First impressions: Needless to say I absolutely love the chevron pattern of this diaper. I have been threatening to get a chevron print in my stash for ages and Sarah from Snugglybum was so kind to send me one to test. I love the soft grey of this specific print, I think it's very gender neutral. I immediately noticed the four rise settings (as opposed to the three settings on their regular pocket diaper) as well as the square tabs vs the regular rounded tabs. The square tabs gives a more polished appearance I think, but I guess this is personal preference. [Rating: 4/5] 



Ease of use: These are as easy to use as any other pocket, which is to say it's pretty straightforward. Simply stuff the insert into the pocket opening and fasten around baby. You have the option of snapping the insert in, which has the added bonus that you could have the bamboo topped insert lying on top of the pocket shell and have natural fibres touch baby's bum instead of the synthetic microsuede. When using it as a pocket diaper you're supposed to be able to leave the insert snapped in and it will agitate out in the wash - I tried this once or twice and it did agitate out, however I still usually just take the insert out before I throw it in the diaper pail - force of habit I suppose. What I do like about leaving it snapped in is that it makes assembly once the diaper is dry a piece of cake - no need to hunt for the insert. [Rating: 4/5]  

Fit: I tried these out on both A (2 years, 9 months) and J (5 months, pictured) and on both of them we got a good fit with these diapers. These seem to be able to fit a wider range of sizes than the regular Snugglybum pockets. To give you an example, J is on the second smallest rise setting in these while he is still on the smallest setting in their regular pockets.  A on the other hand is only on the second largest rise setting (at 13kg), while she wears their regular pockets with the rise fully unsnapped. So it definitely seems like the double gusset pocket can adjust both smaller and bigger than the regular pocket - good news for those with small babies and big toddlers. This is just my gut feel though, based on relative sizing, as I only received this diaper when J was already comfortably fitting into all other OS diapers too. The insert is relatively trim - same as a single microfibre insert, so the diaper doesn't look bulky on. I had some gaping issues at the tummy when using this diaper on A, but bear in mind she has a pretty small waist. With J we get a nice snug fit around both waist and legs. [Rating: 4/5] 



Value for money: These are well priced, especially considering the blended bamboo/microfibre insert they come with and the adjustability in size. [Rating: 4/5] 

Performance: I was hesitant about how well a pocket with single insert would cope with the notorious toddler pee volume, but was pleasantly surprised that A could go roughly two hours before I needed to change the diaper. I did find that I had to add an extra insert if it was the first morning diaper though or if we were heading out and I wouldn't be able to change at the two hour mark.  On J, the diaper could last much longer (even though he is a heavier wetter than A was at the same age), but I prefer to change every 2 - 3 hours regardless. I did not test this diaper for overnight on either of my kids, I doubt that it would've passed the test though as both of them outpee all other pockets at night. The interior gussets also did brilliantly at keeping runny ebf poop contained, and J again had no qualms about doing his utmost to test this feature.  [Rating: 4/5] 



Overall impression: I adore the print and love the crisp clean lines of the squared waist tabs. I'm also a big fan of the bamboo/microfibre blend insert as you get increased absorbency without added bulk. I also like the extra adjustability afforded by the four rise settings and waist snap configuration. A great pocket diaper to add to your stash and I wouldn't mind getting one or two more for myself. 

You can buy the Snugglybum Double Gusset Pocket Diaper directly from their website. Like them on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints.


Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received a Snugglybum diaper free of charge for purposes of this review, but I was not compensated for the review and all opinions are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J (and A), might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. A the time that these photos were taken, J was 5 months old and weighed 6.8kg.



1 comment:

  1. FANTASTIC review pity they are out of stock ;(

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.