16 November 2014

Review: Blueberry Simplex OS AIO

 

Description: The Blueberry Simplex One-size AIO consists of a waterproof PUL outer and cotton inner with an attached soaker, also made of cotton. One side of the soaker is topped with fleece so you have the option of laying the soaker on top (instead of stuffing in the pocket) in order to have a stay-dry effect against your baby's bum.  There are pocket openings on both ends, allowing you to add extra absorbency to the diaper if needed. The leg elastics are not encased like most other diapers, but rolled - similar to Bottombumpers and old-BGE. The one-size simplex has three rows of rise snaps on the front to adjust as baby grows and two rows of waist snaps to adjust the fit around the hips/legs and waist. 

First impressions: Having used the sized Simplex diapers (2.0) I was curious to see how the one-size would compare and especially if it would be much bulkier. In terms of bulk there isn't a big difference between sized and one-size and it manages to still be a very trim diaper. The one-size doesn't have side-snaps like the sized version, but instead has the regular front waist closure and of course rise snaps. Crotch is still nice and narrow which I love and I just love their prints.The cotton interior and soaker is deliciously soft and quilts up nicely in the wash, similar to a cotton prefold. [Rating: 4/5] 


Ease of use: To use these, you just slip the soaker into the pocket opening provided, or you can choose to lay it on top of the inner lining instead so the stay-dry fleece layer is against baby's bottom. Of course you need to ensure that the rise snaps are correctly adjusted before putting it on baby and then it's simply a matter of snapping two snaps on each wing to fasten the diaper onto baby. I have found that those less familiar with cloth tend to get confused with more than one snap per wing though. When taking the diaper off, simply put it in your pail, no need to unstuff as the insert will agitate out in the wash. They tend to take a little longer to dry, but this is typical of AIOs and natural fibres.  [Rating: 4/5]  

Fit: These fit J really well - nice and trim, yet enough room to grow as well. J is currently on the middle row of rise snaps with two sets of snaps exposed at the waist. The rolled elastics around the legs give a really gentle fit and fit snugly without leaving red marks. I do think I prefer the fit of the sized Simplex a little more though - it is just a bit narrower in the crotch area, a little less bulky and those stretchy side-tabs really do help with getting the fit exactly right.  [Rating: 4/5] 



Value for money: These aren't exactly cheap, but I do think it's nice to have some special AIOs in your stash. The pretty prints, excellent absorbency, quality fabrics and a nice trim fit make these worthwhile in my eyes. Even if you only add one or two to your stash so baby can wear those skinny jeans. Compared to the sized version, the one-size is without a doubt the better value for money as baby will be able to wear it longer.  [Rating: 3.5/5] 

Performance: Just like the sized version, I love the absorbency on these. I never have to worry about leaks and in fact J could go much longer than the typical two hours between changes. I consider him to be an average wetter during the day.  I have not tried it for overnight as J is more of a heavy wetter overnight, so I doubt it would last the night. But for younger babies or lighter wetters it could be a viable night option. And you always have the option of adding additional absorbency in the pocket. [Rating: 5/5] 


Overall impression: I do like the Blueberry Simplex OS AIO - I mean how could you not adore that print? - but I almost wish I had tried these before I tried the sized version. While I reach for this diaper often, my love of the sized version clouds my impression of this one. Yes it is trim and fits great, but it's not quite as trim and perfect fitting as the sized version. Compared to other OS AIOs it is also not the trimmest I have tried, but certainly very far from bulky.  I do reach for it often though and I wouldn't mind having another one or two of these in my stash. 
You can buy Blueberry Simplex OS AIO from local resellers Tiny Hiney. Like Blueberry on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 7.5 months old and weighed approximated 8kg.


2 comments:

  1. Great review. I like the simplex cover but I've never tried the AIO. For overnight I've found my bullet proof nighttime solution is a Pooters Hemp Fitted diaper. It's designed for up to 12 hours of leakage protection, the fibers are all natural so its good for my little guy’s sensitive skin and he never gets rashes, the elastic in the legs and back give a snug fit and prevent blow-outs, and the flexible waistband and stretchy fabric lets my little guy twist and turn without restriction and without leaks. Also, they're one-size fits all which means I won't ever have to buy another diaper for my little guy. Yay!

    What do you use for nighttime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also use fitteds for nighttime - local brands Hippie Safari (not affiliated with this blog) and Poopsie Daisy as well as US GoodMama. We do fleece or wool soakers over the fitteds. I'm hoping to try a few more local WAHM brands of fitteds soon though - Pokkelokkie, BabaLoo, Tyrilove and one or two other locals that hasn't launched yet. :-)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.