29 December 2014

Review: TomFips OS Cover

 

Description: The TomFips cover is designed to be used as a waterproof layer over flats, prefolds and fitteds. It has a woven cotton exterior with a PUL interior lining. This cover features double gussets and 3 x 3 rise snaps. It fastens with snaps around the waist. 


First impressions: The quality of craftsmanship is obvious in TomFips products - the sewing is precise, the edges perfectly finished, the snaps evenly placed. The woven outer makes this cover seem almost dressier than a regular PUL cover and it is available in a variety of prints. The prints change from stocking to stocking depending on availability of fabric. The sizing of the cover seems quite generous compared to other brands; I imagine it would work great over fitteds. [Rating: 4/5]  



Ease of use: As this is just a cover (ie no absorbent part), you need to use it over an absorbent diaper eg a flat, prefold or fitted. The cover itself is pretty straightforward to put on - simply adjust the rise setting and fasten it on your baby using the snaps around the waist.   In between uses I like to wipe the interior and air out the cover. When the cover is soiled, simply place in your nappy bucket, ready for wash day. This cover washes up easily, though the woven cotton outer does make for a slightly longer drying time compared to other covers. [Rating:4/5]  

Fit: The generous crotch width and overall sizing means that the TomFips cover fits well over a variety of absorbent diapers - from flats (my current favourite), to prefolds and fitteds. I initially thought it might not fit as well over trim inserts, but I tried it with a Buttons insert placed in the cover and was pleasantly surprised at the lovely non-poufy fit. The lay-in insert was held in place quite well by this cover. At 9 months and 8.7kg J is still on the smallest rise setting and with a snap open on the waist, so there is still lots of room to grow. The photos in this post shows the fit over a snappi'd hemp/cotton flat. The double gussets are very gentle on J's thighs and we haven't had any red marks.  There is some curling on the waist tabs, but this is something that happens with Buttons and Thirsties covers too and doesn't really bother me. [Rating: 3.5/5] 



Value for money: For a WAHM item, I think these are very reasonably priced and great value for money. Not only do you get a great cover for your money, you also get the feel-good factor of supporting a lovely and deserving WAHM. [Rating: 5/5] 

Performance: We have used this cover during the day for a few weeks now and, barring one incidence of user error, it has not let us down - no pee or poop has leaked out. I left J's diaper on a bit too long once and the wetness wicked out onto the outside of the cover around his legs, but I don't think that's a fault of the cover, rather a case of me waiting too long to change his diaper. I also tried it for overnight and it fit perfectly over a bulky overnight fitted and we had no issues with leaks or wicking (after 10 hours OTB). Obviously you need an absorbent enough diaper underneath the cover though. [Rating: 4.5/5] 


Overall impression: This is the first WAHM cover that I've had the pleasure of using and I'm really impressed with the quality - it compares very favourably to other brands of covers that I've tried. I love that TomFips is proudly South African and that their diapers are a little exclusive, due to the nature of the sales method (stockings). I reach for this cover often, especially when I want to show off J's fluffy bum. TomFips are definitely worth the buzz.

You can buy TomFips products via their Facebook page, where you will also be able to stay on top of new products and prints.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received this diaper free of charge for purposes of review, but did not receive any compensation for it and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 9 months old and weighed approximately 8.7kg.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.