20 January 2015

Review: Beautiful Earth Baby Skin Care Products


I was lucky enough to receive a hamper full of baby skin care products from Beautiful Earth a few weeks ago to try out on my kiddos. I did the sniff test as soon as the hamper arrived at the Hippie House. I mean you have to smell the various lotions and potions before you use them, right? And let me tell you, they smell just delicious! With ingredients like mandarin, lavender, chamomile how could they not?

I received and tested the following products: 

  • May Chang & Calendula Body Lotion 
  • Calendual & Mandarin Hair & Body Wash 
  • Chamomile and Lavender Bath & Massage Oil 
  • Lavender & Calendula Barrier Cream 
  • Grapefruit and Rosewood Foam Bath

All the Beautiful Earth products are free from parabens, artificial perfumes and colourants and contain essential oils for both their lovely scents as well as their beneficial properties. All of the products that I tested are Certified Natural by the Natural Products Association.


Image credits: Beautiful Earth
Both kids and myself have been using the Calendula & Mandarin Hair & Body Wash to bath with over the last few weeks and even TheHusband commented on the great smell. The wash is a lovely consistency - not too thin, but not thick and gloopy either. As with most natural bath products it doesn't create a lot of foam, which is actually nice as I don't have to worry about J wanting to eat the foam. I love the fact that the bottle has a pump action top to squirt out just the right amount of product and prevent three year old A from using half a bottle in one go. The wash is really gentle on all of our skins, though I must add that none of us have particularly sensitive skin. 

On the day that we received the hamper we immediately tested out the Grapefruit & Rosewood Foam Bath for that evening's bath. I used half the bottle, but the amount of foam generated was quite disappointing. Certainly nothing like the Mr & Miss foam products I remember from my childhood which generated foam like nobody's business. Perhaps results might've been better had I used more foam, but then one bottle wouldn't even cover two baths, making it pretty expensive per use.

After our foam bath, TheHusband and I decided we would massage A & J to get them nice
Image credit: Beautiful Earth
and relaxed before bedtime. You know, since the massage oil contains chamomile and lavender. I must say they smelled pretty good and A did enjoy the massage, but J was more interested in crawling away so his massage session was abandoned fairly quickly! The oil glides nicely on the skin and while the lavender and chamomile scents are definitely noticeable, it's not overpowering at all. I also experimented with adding a few drops to our bath water and it resulted in plump, hydrated after-bath skin without needing to apply lotion. A great option for the dry seasons (like our summer here in Cape Town). 

I also discovered that a few squirts of Bath & Massage Oil and Hair & Body Wash into a basin full of luke warm water make for the perfect cloth wipe solution - simply swish and dunk your cloth wipes in this mixture, wring out and store ready to be used for the day. Couldn't be easier!

I'm not a big body lotion user since I usually either forget or simply don't find the time after bathing to apply lotion, but the two things I really liked about this lotion is it's fresh citrus-y smell - perfect to pep you up - and the fact that it's non-greasy and not thick at all so it goes on really easily and melts away perfectly into your skin. Have I mentioned that it smells absolutely fantastic? Again, I appreciate the pump-action top so that there is no wastage.

Image credit: Beautiful Earth
The Lavender & Calendula Barrier Cream is similar in consistency to aqueous cream with a very feint lavender scent. I found that it was easy to apply, though my personal preference is still for a bum balm instead of a cream though. I just find creams to be too "goopy" and it's more difficult to just scoop up a small amount with your finger to apply to baby's bum. We don't use barrier cream with every diaper change, so I've only used this cream a few times, but haven't had any issues with build-up on our diapers.

All in all, I am really happy with the Beautiful Earth range and will definitely be stocking up on more of the Hair & Body Wash, Bath & Massage Oil and Body Lotion. I love that this is a proudly South African brand, manufactured locally. I also love the price point, the fact that the product contains only natural ingredients and of course the lovely fragrance of the essential oils used throughout the range. 

Beautiful Earth products are available at a select few retailers throughout South Africa, as well as internationally. Like their Facebook page to be the first to know of new products and competitions.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari, except where stated otherwise. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received these products free of charge for purposes of this review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the products that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and all babies are different. So what works well for me, A & J might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. 

5 comments:

  1. thanks to share this baby skincare product post here. every one want to visit this types of post.
    baby bath products

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby skin care products are quite amazing and it delivers good positive result for any kind of skin problems. Most of the parents are really worried about their baby's skin care and other types of care also; as baby skins are very smooth and soft. So they can easily get infected therefore we need to take better precautions to protect our baby's skin through different types of skin care products and I hope while following these above products we are able to keep our baby's skin infection free or we may also follow some instructions from here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For their healthier skin. Taking care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The range is suitable for all skin types and is particularly effective in the treatment and prevention of dry skin, eczema, psoriasis, baby acne and cradle cap. Ann Royston

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. This article is really very interesting and enjoyable. I think its must be helpful and informative for us. Thanks for sharing your nice post.
    Baby Skin Care

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.