17 January 2015

Review: THX One-Size AIO Diaper


Description: The THX One-size AIO consists of a waterproof PUL outer, fleece interior (with interior double gussets) and a hidden sewn-in microfibre soaker. This diaper has four rows of rise snaps on the front to adjust the sizing and two rows of waist/hip snaps to adjust the fit around baby's waist and hips. 

First impressions: Having used and loved the THX newborn AIOs, I was curious to see what the one-size version would be like. In terms of style it has the same fleecy interior and interior double leg gussets to keep runny poop contained, as well as the hidden, sewn-in microfibre soaker, which is sandwiched between the fleece interior and PUL exterior. However the cut and style of the diaper is quite different to the newborn version in that there are four rise settings and two rows of waist/hip snaps to fasten on each tab. The look reminds me of the Rumparooz OS pocket, which makes sense as the THX newborn AIO is also modelled after the Rumparooz (Lil Joey) newborn AIO. At first glance the diaper seems fairly well made, though it seems to be a bit on the bulkier side, compared to other AIOs I've tried. The diapers are available in a limited selection of prints and solids; I opted for the blue whale print. [Rating: 3.5/5] 


Ease of use: These are pretty easy to put on - simply adjust the rise snaps on the front and fasten the snaps around baby's waist. No stuffing, no snapping-in of inserts, no arranging of layers, everything is already in place and this makes the THX AIO a very user-friendly option for those new to cloth. Granted you do have to fasten two snaps on each tab, so that's a total of four snaps each time you put this diaper on, which adds a few seconds to the time taken to put this diaper on. When taking the diaper off, simply put it in your pail, nothing to unstuff or unsnap. Drying time was a bit of an issue for me, due to the fact that the soaker is completely sewn-in so no air can circulate around it.  [Rating: 4/5]  

Fit: We get a good fit around J's legs, though I did have to switch back and forth between the second and third rise snap settings before I settled on the best option for a good fit on him. I had to choose between either a slight gap at the waist when he is lying down or a little more bulk in the crotch area. All in all, the fit is okay, though a tad on the bulky side, especially for an AIO, which I usually find to be one of the trimmer cloth diapering types. At 9 months and 8.5 kg J was on the second row of rise snaps with three sets of snaps exposed at the waist, so still a fair amount of room for growth.  [Rating: 3/5] 



Value for money: These are very affordable compared to other AIOs available locally and I find them to be good value for money. We have used these for about two months and they still look perfect. [Rating: 4.5/5] 

Performance: I wondered how well this diaper would hold up, since the absorbency relies on just microfibre, however I'm happy to say I haven't had any issues with it. Now granted, J is not a heavy wetter during the day, but when I change him at the two hour mark, the diaper can still absorb a whole lot more and we haven't had any leaking or wicking. It's definitely not the most absorbent AIO in my stash though, so if you have a heavy wetter, this is something to be aware of. The interior double gussets did a good job at containing runny poop as well. I did not try this diaper for overnight. [Rating: 4/5] 



Overall impression: The fact that there are no loose parts to this diaper as well as the price point will make it a very appealing choice for those new to cloth. If you are looking for a stay-dry all-in-one diaper (there aren't many of them!) and you have a light to medium wetter, give the THX One-Size AIO a go, you might just find a new favourite!

You can buy THX diapers from local resellers Baby Thingz. Like them on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints. And if you want to keep up to date with new developments in the THX product line - like the THX Facebook page too. 

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 9 months old and weighed approximated 8.5 kg.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.