07 January 2015

Review: TomFips OS Pocket Diaper


Description: The TomFips pocket diaper consists of a woven cotton outer, hidden PUL layer and minky interior with a pocket opening at the back. It comes with a large rectangular cotton insert that is mean to be trifolded and placed inside the pocket opening. The diaper has three rows of rise snaps on the front to adjust the size and closes with snaps around the waist. It has hip snaps as well as cross-over snaps which enables you to adjust the waist even smaller. 


First impressions: The quality of craftsmanship is obvious in TomFips products - the sewing is precise, the edges perfectly finished, the snaps evenly placed. The woven outer makes this pocket seem almost dressier than a regular PUL outer and it is available in a variety of prints. The prints change from stocking to stocking depending on availability of fabric. Two things immediately caught my attention - the super soft minky interior lining and the wider-than-average crotch on these pockets. The insert seems like it would be very thirsty. [Rating: 4/5]  



Ease of use: Using this cover requires an extra step vs other pockets - you have to trifold the insert before placing it into the pocket opening. Once that is done, it's really straightforward though - simply adjust the rise and fasten the diaper onto your baby. Taking it off is pretty simple too - simply remove from your baby, remove the insert and place in your diaper pail. Poop sprays off really easily with the minky interior. The pocket shell does take a bit longer than others to dry, due to the woven cotton exterior. I like to unsnap the rise snaps on it to facilitate quicker drying. The insert, being natural fibres, also take a bit longer to dry, but that is to be expected with any natural fibre. [Rating:3.5/5]  

Fit: The woven cotton exterior means that this pocket isn't super stretchy, so you have to be a bit more precise when you fit it on your baby. I usually have to go back and re-fasten the first side of waist snaps to slightly adjust the fit once the diaper is on. I also found that trifolding the insert to fit the crotch width made for quite a wide crotch, which I don't prefer on J. So I fold the insert into four instead and that gives us a much nicer fit as you can see on these photos. It does make the insert a little bulkier vs just trifolding, but it doesn't add enough bulk to bother me. I have also tried this pocket shell with a single microfibre insert and it did help with a trimmer fit, so that's something you can consider on a smaller baby. Besides the crotch width, the diaper also has generous bum coverage and I think it is overall a bit more generously sized than the average pocket. At 10 months and 8.7kg, J is still on the smallest rise snaps with one snap exposed at the waist and one on each hip. So he has plenty of room to grow!  [Rating: 3.5/5] 



Value for money: For a WAHM item, I think these are very reasonably priced and great value for money. The pocket shell is really nice and the insert super absorbent - much more so than your typical single microfibre insert. [Rating: 5/5] 

Performance: This pocket absorbs a LOT! J is not a heavy wetter by any means (I would class him as light to average during the day) and the insert is not even half wet when I change his diaper after two hours. We have had no wicking issues either (sometimes a problem with cotton outers), though it's probably not a fair test since J isn't a heavy wetter. I think this pocket would hold up really well for a heavier wetter though and probably well into the toddler years without any extra boosting for J. We have had a couple of poops in this diaper and I'm happy to report that it was also perfectly contained. [Rating: 5/5] 


Overall impression: While this isn't my favourite pocket in terms of fit (I prefer something just a little stretchier and trimmer in the crotch), I can definitely say it's one of our more foolproof options due to that super thirsty insert. If for some reason I can't change J's diaper at the 2-hour mark, I never have to worry about leaks when he's wearing a TomFips.

You can buy TomFips products via their Facebook page, where you will also be able to stay on top of new products and prints.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received this diaper free of charge for purposes of review, but did not receive any compensation for it and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 10 months old and weighed approximately 8.7kg.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.