16 February 2015

Review: GoodMama Fitted Diaper


Description: The GoodMama Fitted consists of a printed outer layer of 100% cotton knit a layer of hidden fleece and a bamboo/cotton/polyester velour interior lining. Each fitted comes with two petal inserts that are sewn together at one end and snaps into the diaper at the back for nine total layers of absorbency.  The rise is adjusted by folding it down in the front to fit smaller babies. GoodMama Fitteds have extra long wings that fasten with snaps around the waist and has three snaps on each wing to prevent wing droopage. GoodMama fitteds come in a choice of either turned and topstitched or serged (overlocked) edges; the one that I'm reviewing has serged edges. 

First impressions:  This Ooga Booga print is just adorable and in fact, so are all their prints. I love how luxuriously soft and squishy the velour interior feels and how nice and stretchy the diaper is. The fabrics used is high quality and the way the diaper has been put together speaks of great attention to detail. It also seems quite trim for a fitted. The leg and back elastics are sewn in such a way that it ruffles at the edges; a look which I'm quite fond of.  [Rating: 4.5/5] 

Ease of use: Even though this is a two-step diapering system (you have to add a cover to be waterproof), I think these are fairly easy to use regardless. Simply snap in your inserts,  and put the diaper onto your baby. I like that the inserts fit perfectly in the diaper lengthwise, even when using the fold-down rise, so you don't have to fold over the insert to fit. If you have not used a fold-down rise before, it might some getting used to, but is quite easy to get the hang of. When you take the diaper off, you can simply pop it directly into the diaper pail - no need to unsnap the inserts. Like most fitteds, this diaper takes a fair amount of time to dry. I did find that it dried less stiffly compared to other fitteds when line dried - this is due to the synthetic mix present in the fabric. [Rating: 4/5] 


Fit: The strethiness of the cotton knit fabric makes it really easy to put the diaper on and get a good fit on your baby. We get a little bit of crotch bulge using this diaper, but I think that's just due to the fabric being so soft and trim. Otherwise, the fit is spot on - snug, but not uncomfortably tight around J's legs and waist and we never have any issues with red marks. At 11 months and just over 9kg, we can use this with the rise either fully extended or folded down, depending on if we add additional inserts or not. For daytime use we use it as is and the fit is nice and trim.  There is still plenty of room to grow in these diapers and I think they will fit even bigger and older toddlers quite well due to the extra long wings and stretchy fabric.  [Rating: 4/5] 

Value for money: If you are on a tight budget, this probably isn't the diaper for you. It is definitely on the higher end of the scale even for a WAHM made fitted and once you take into account shipping costs and customs you are looking at quite a hefty price for one diaper. However, you get a very well-made, excellent quality fitted for your money and the GoodMama brand is very popular with excellent resale value. For me personally, the price is a little bit out of reach though.  [Rating: 3/5] 


Performance: This is a great daytime fitted for use as is. J is a light to medium wetter during the day and I can use this without a cover for him, however if you have a heavier wetter you would need to use a cover. For night-time, we use this with an extra hemp or bamboo booster and a cover (usually wool) and it lasts the whole night on J who is a medium-heavy wetter at night, however the diaper is pretty much entirely soaked in the morning. Bear in mind it doesn't have a stay-dry layer against the skin, so if that is important to you, you would need to add a fleece liner to keep baby's bum dry. Absorbency wise this is definitely not as absorbent as other fitteds I've tried. [Rating: 3.5/5] 

Overall impression: Like most WAHM fitteds, this makes a gorgeous addition to your stash and is the perfect option for those times you want to show off a little or air out baby's bum. I do think it's more suited for daytime use than night-time use, as it's trimmer and less absorbent than some of the other fitteds I have. Is it worth the hype? I'm not entirely convinced. Don't get me wrong; it's a great diaper, but if I were going to spend that amount of money I could get a lot more bang for my buck with our local WAHMs.  



You can buy GoodMama diapers directly from their website. Like their Facebook page, to be the first to know about new products, prints and offers.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission. I won this diaper in a raffle and all opinions stated above are my own and not influenced by anyone else in any way. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. J was 11 months old and weighed just over 9kg when these photos were taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.