05 March 2015

Review: Angel Love Rainbow Muslin


Description: The Angel Love Rainbow Muslin consists of two layers of waffle weave muslin fabric. The edges are hemmed and they are available in a pack of 7 bright colours - all the colours of the rainbow. You can also choose a pack of two colours if you don't want to buy the full pack. The muslin measures 60 x 60 cm. While these muslins have a wide range of uses from light blanket to spit-up cloth, for purposes of this review I tested them as flat diapers.

First impressions: I adore the bright colours of these muslins! You just can't help but feel happy and positive when you look at them. The fabric is really soft with neatly hemmed edges which won't irritate delicate baby skin. The fabric itself, even though it's two layers, is quite thin and I was skeptical about how well it would work as a diaper. [Rating: 4/5] 


Ease of use: Flats can be a bit more complicated to use if you choose to fold and snappy them on as I have done in these photos. However they can also be very simple to use if you choose to simply padfold them (ie fold in a rectangle that resembles an insert) and lay them in a cover or use them to stuff a pocket with.   Even though it's two layers of fabric, I found these washed up very nicely and dried super fast.  This makes them ideal for handwashing should you not have access to a washing machine. [Rating: 3/5]  

Fit: Snappi'd on these are super duper trim and I would say they are probably the trimmest of all the flats I have tried. Even padfolded they are very trim and rival the trimmest AIOs out there. The size is perfect to snappy onto smaller babies using the origami fold. J has outgrown the rise on the origami fold with the Rainbow Muslin, so if I snappy it onto him I now use the Jo Fold (pictured here) in order to get a longer rise. You might have trouble snappi'ing this flat onto an older/chunkier baby. My favourite way to use it at the moment is padfolded in a cover though and this method will work for all sizes and shapes of babies. I love that the fabric is thin enough to jellyroll the legs without adding bulk in that area. [Rating: 4.5/5] 

Value for money: I think these are fairly priced, especially if you buy the pack of seven which works out to be much more economical. The fact that they are available in eye-catching colours, versatile and that they can be used as much more than simply a diaper makes them a great buy. [Rating: 5/5] 

Performance: While these are much more absorbent than I initially thought they would be, they are certainly not the most absorbent flats available. But for use on a young baby or a light wetter like J, they work perfectly. The diaper lasts for 2 hours on J during the day (as I've mentioned he is a light wetter though) and while it is pretty saturated in front at that point there is still some room left to absorb a little more through the back. I don't think these would work well on a toddler or heavy wetter and did not try them for overnight. As with all flats, these are not waterproof and do require a cover.  [Rating: 3.5/5]


Overall impression: These really brighten up my flats stash and I just love seeing the bright colour peaking at me from underneath a cover. It's the simple things in life sometimes, right? I find myself frequentlyly add this flat to the diaper bag when we're out & about as I can use it to cover J when he's napping, on the floor to catch spills when he's eating, to catch milk overflow when he was a little younger or as a makeshift breastfeeding cover if need be. And of course I can also use it as a diaper. If you have a heavy wetter, this is probably not the flat for you, however you can of course still get it for it's many other uses. If you are looking for the perfect flat for your newborn or younger baby though, I highly recommend these. They are small enough and trim enough to fit a young baby without any extra bulk. And when you're a bleary-eyed new mom, these colours are just the thing to perk you up for those frequent diaper changes during the newborn stage. 

You can buy Angel Love products directly from their website or via Doodlebums. Like Angel Love on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 9 months old and weighed approximately 8.7 kg.


1 comment:

  1. this is great :) I used a bamboo inner with the rainbows and that helps with absorbency. Love the colours so much <3

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.