10 March 2015

Review: Little Sam's (Bouncy Baby) Prefolds


Description: Bouncy Baby prefolds consist of several layers of unbleached 100% Indian cotton sewn into a rectangle. The centre third of the prefold (the so-called wetzone) has eight layers, while the sides have four layers. Newborn  size has fewer layers for a trimmer fit on a smaller baby. The edges are overlocked in a coloured thread, which indicate the sizing. These prefolds come in sizes newborn to large. For purposes of this review I tested a size medium on J who is a year old. 


First impressions: These prefolds are super duper soft after prepping and quilts up beautifully. I love the soft beige colour of the unbleached cotton and the serged edges give a trimmer finish than turned & topstitched edges.  [Rating: 4/5] 


Ease of use: Prefolds are easier to fold and snappy on than flats (eg terry squares), since they already have the extra absorbent layer in the wetzone, so you just need to fold it to fit around your baby. If you want to go even simpler than that, you can simply fold them in thirds lengthwise (called trifolding) and place in your cover. At the moment I prefer snappy'ing the prefold onto J for poop containment purposes as well as trimness. For older/wrigglier toddlers I would trifold them in a cover or use them as an insert in pocket diapers. Prefolds wash up fairly easily and as they don't have any PUL, elastics or snaps they can take a fair amount of abuse. Drying time is average - not as quick as a flat or pocket diaper, but quicker than a fitted or AIO. [Rating: 3.5/5]  

Fit: The size medium is the perfect size to snappy onto J and the fold I prefer at the moment is the jellyroll fold. The bikini twist fold also works on him with this particular size, but I find the waist just a little bit too narrow to get a proper fit with the angel wing fold. Snappi'd on, the prefold is fairly trim underneath a cover, though not as trim as a flat. While the medium works trifolded in a cover as well, I would go down a size for a better fit if I was mostly trifolding. I love that I can customise the fit around the legs and waist. [Rating: 4/5] 

Value for money: In terms of quality of fabric, level of absorbency and versatility, I find these prefolds to be excellent value for money.  [Rating: 5/5] 

Performance: The absorbency of these prefolds are excellent. J is a fairly light wetter during the day and when I change him after two hours, he hasn't even saturated a third of the prefold. They would be an excellent option for heavier wetters and/or toddlers. I have tested these prefolds overnight as well, with an extra bamboo insert and a cover and it lasted the entire night (with J at the all-night buffet) without any leaks. Bear in mind J is an average to heavy wetter during the night. This would also be a great option for when you're out and about and perhaps not able to change as often as usual.  [Rating: 5/5] 


Overall impression: If you're a little intimated by flats and the folding required, but still need a budget-friendly option to start out your stash or perhaps to bulk up your stash for winter, I would highly recommend looking into prefolds. They are perfect for newborn stage (using newborn size of course) and just as awesome for heavy wetting toddlers. Bouncy Baby prefolds are on par with other international brands like Imagine in terms of quality and absorbency. They are  are in frequent rotation at our house and fit well underneath a variety of covers - Buttons, TomFips, ENS, Blueberry, WeeGro and Rumparooz. Definitely a big thumbs up from me!

For more information on how to use prefolds and why they are so awesome, see my Cloth 101: Prefolds post.

Bouncy Baby prefolds are available in South Africa from Little Sam's. Like Little Sam's on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 1 year old and weighed approximated 9.3 kg.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marissa, my little girl is already 7,5kg at 3 1/2 months. Would you suggest ordering a large or is there still a lot of room to grow at 9.3kg? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still room to grow at 10kg too. I would definitely get a medium, large will be too big for your baby.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.