04 March 2015

Review: Tyrilove Hemp/Cotton Flat

Description: The Tyrilove Hemp/Cotton flat consists of a single layer of hemp/cotton jersey blend fabric. The edges are overlocked (serged) and the flats are available in sizes from newborn (40 x 40 cm) to large (70 x 70 cm). For purposes of this review I have tested the large flat. 


First impressions: I love love love how stretchy these flats are and they are deliciously soft when new. Construction is fairly simple (it is after all just a square piece of fabric), but the edges are very neatly finished off. The fabric itself is very thin/trim and drapey. [Rating: 4/5] 


Ease of use: Flats can be a bit more complicated to use if you choose to fold and snappy them on as I have done in these photos. However they can also be very simply to use if you choose to simply padfold them (ie fold in a rectangle that resembles an insert) and lay them in a cover or use them to stuff a pocket with. While these work great padfolded in a cover or stuffed into a pocket, I just love the old-school look of a snappi'd flat, so that is my method of choice at the moment. This will probably change in the very near future though as diaper changes become increasingly difficult during the toddler years. As they are a single layer of fabric they wash up really easily and dry fairly quickly as well, which makes them ideal for handwashing should you not have access to a washing machine. [Rating: 3/5]  

Fit: Snappi'd on, these flats are very trim and I would say probably just as trim if not more so than a disposable diaper. Padfolded in a cover or pocket they are a little more bulky, but not overly so - think the same thickness as a pocket with single microfibre insert. So still fairly trim. The size large is perfect on J to do the origami fold (my favourite) and there is still loads of room to grow and other folds to try as he gets bigger/taller. I love that I can customise the fit around the legs and waist and that the fabric is thin enough to jellyroll the legs without adding a lot of bulk in that area. I also love love love the stretch that this fabric has - it makes it easy to get a nice fit and to snappy the flat onto a wriggly baby. [Rating: 5/5] 



Value for money: These are excellent value for money in my opinion. In terms of the trimness, absorption and versatility you get for the price point you will have to look far to beat these flats.  [Rating: 5/5] 

Performance: These flats are crazy absorbent. J is a fairly light wetter during the day, so he doesn't do the absorbency justice, but they would be a fantastic option for heavy wetters and older toddlers. I have even used them overnight, boosted with an extra hemp insert and they last the entire night (10 - 12 hours) with absolutely no leaks. In fact the fabric wasn't even fully saturated. Bear in mind J is an average to heavy wetter during the night and breastfeeds throughout the night. I definitely never have to worry about leaks with this diaper. They do tend to dry a little stiff when line dried, but this is true of all natural fibres.  [Rating: 5/5] 


Overall impression: If your only impression of flats are terry squares, prepare to be bowled over by these flats. In comparison to other flats I've tried (muslins, birdseye cotton, flannel), these are by far the most absorbent and the stretchy fabric just adds that bit extra. While they are not the trimmest flats I have tried, they are certainly the trimmest in terms of absorbency and these are in high rotation in our stash. I highly recommend Tyrilove Hemp/Cotton flats for use on heavy wetters/toddlers (with a toddler try padfolding them in a cover) or for a very affordable and trim night time solution. 

You can buy Tyrilove Hemp/Cotton flats directly from their website or Facebook page.  Like Tyrilove on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 9 months old and weighed approximated 8.7 kg.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.