18 March 2015

Review: Tyrilove Stretchy Cotton Knit Prefolds


Description: Tyrilove Stretchy Cotton-Knit prefolds consist of four layers of plain or printed cotton knit and three additional layers of hemp fleece in the centre panel or wetzone area (4x7x4).  The edges are overlocked with a colour coordinating thread. These prefolds come in sizes newborn to x-large. For purposes of this review I tested a size medium on J who is a year old. 


First impressions: I love the bold print and the soft and stretchy fabric is a plus. The sewing is very neat as is the case with all Tyrilove's products. I like that the edges are overlocked to give a trimmer finish.  [Rating: 4/5] 


Ease of use: I prefer snappy'ing the prefold onto J for poop containment purposes as well as trimness. The stretchy fabric definitely makes it easier to get the fit just right, especially if baby wiggles around a bit. The snappy grips nicely onto the fabric too. For older/wrigglier toddlers I would trifold them in a cover or use them as an insert in pocket diapers. Drying time is average and on par with other brands of prefolds that I've tried.  [Rating: 4/5]  

Fit: The size medium is the perfect size to snappy onto J. The stretchy fabric is quite forgiving in terms of fit, perfect for that in between-sizes stage when it sometimes feels like you just don't quite have enough fabric to fold around the waist. It also seems like it would be more comfortable around bigger bellies or chunky thighs.  Snappi'd on, the prefold is fairly trim underneath a cover, though not as trim as a flat. The find the medium is also the perfect size for trifolding in a cover or stuffing into a pocket. They fit well underneath a variety of covers, from the very trim (eg Buttons) to the more roomy (eg Blueberry Coverall). [Rating: 4/5] 



Value for money: These are great value for money in terms of absorbency, cuteness (prints and colours) and ease of use. As is the nature of the fabric, it does get a little pilly with usage though and while it doesn't affect performance, it is something to keep in mind. [Rating: 4/5] 

Performance: J is a fairly light wetter during the day and this prefold is more than enough for him in terms of absorbency, though I do feel it is a little less absorbent than the Indian cotton prefolds I've tried. We typically change his diaper every two hours during the day regardless though. I have not tested this prefold for overnight, but it would probably work with some extra boosting.  [Rating: 4/5] 



Overall impression: I absolutely love the prints, colours and streeeeetch of these prefolds. While they aren't quite as absorbent as Indian cotton prefolds, they still do a great job and is certainly more absorbent than your average pocket. I don't think they would make the best night-time solution without an extra one or two boosters though. For ease of use and an absorbent, affordable and cute daytime nappy, I definitely recommend trying out the Tyrilove Stretchy Cotton Knit prefolds. I also think they are a great option to try for those new to prefolds as the stretchy fabric makes them just that little bit easier to fold and snappy onto baby.  

For more information on how to use prefolds and why they are so awesome, see my Cloth 101: Prefolds post.

Tyrilove Stretchy Cotton Knit prefolds are available directly via their Facebook page through a waiting list order system. Like them to be the first to hear of new products and prints.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 11 months old and weighed around 9.2kg.
Buttons cover on middle rise setting over a medium Tyrilove Stretchy Cotton Knit prefold

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.