11 April 2015

Review: Eco Nappy Solutions OS Hybrid Fitted


Description: The Eco Nappy Solutions Hybrid Fitted consists of a printed outer layer of 100% woven cotton*, a layer of hidden fleece and an interior fleece lining. Each fitted comes with one lay-in insert consisting of four layers of bamboo topped with fleece for stay-dry effect. There is also a hidden layer of sewn-in absorbency (cotton flannel and hemp) in the wetzone. The diaper features a fold down rise which enables you to adjust the fit to your baby and fastens with snaps around the waist. There are three snaps on each wing as well as two crossover snap settings to make the waist smaller for a younger baby. 

* This may change depending on fabric availability.

First impressions:  First things first - I absolutely adore the sugar skulls print on the diaper pictured here. I mean - how awesome is that? I was able to choose the colour of the snaps and the interior fleece lining and appreciated this touch from the WAHM. The diaper is well made with even stitching. Some of the snap placements seem a little off, but nothing that would affect function. The cut of the diaper seems a little longer and narrower than other fitteds I've tried.  [Rating: 3.5/5] 

Ease of use: These are similar to other hybrid fitteds in that they're a two part system requiring a seperate cover to be truly waterproof. You can use it coverless during the day though and skip that extra step. I found this diaper average in terms of ease of use - you have to lay the insert in (no snap) which might confuse those newer to cloth diapering. However this also means that you can position and fold the insert to best customise absorbency for your baby. If you have not used a fold-down rise before, it might some getting used to, but is quite easy to get the hang of. When you take the diaper off, you can simply pop it directly into the diaper pail - no inserts to unstuff or unsnap and no laundry tabs to worry about. Like most fitteds, this diaper takes a fair amount of time to dry, this is increased by the sewn-in absorbency in the shell. [Rating: 3.5/5] 



Fit: I found these a little tricky to fit at first. Because of the long body I had to fold down the rise a tad more than other hybrid fitteds to get the best fit on J. This is not an issue with the diaper though, just my own "standard settings" in my head that needed some tweaking. Once it was on I found the fit to be nice and trim and it's definitely a slimmer fit than other hybrid fitteds that I've tried. I was able to add a thin bamboo booster to the diaper and still get a good fit, but anything more caused leg gaps for us. I think this could be related to the crotch width. The crotch is narrower than other fitteds I've tried which makes for a nicer fit on smaller babies in my opinion. However the back coverage is still good, so I think this will work on chubbier babies/toddlers as well.  At a year old and 9.5kg we are still using the fold down rise on J and there is still plenty of room to grow at the waist as well. The woven cotton outer does make for a slightly less customisable fit vs a cotton jersey outer; however the woven stays looking nicer for longer, so you need to weigh up what is more important to you.  [Rating: 3.5/5] 

Value for money: Pricing is on par with other hybrid fitteds available locally and I think it's fair considering the work that goes into each diaper and the fabrics used. [Rating: 3.5/5] 


Performance: As is, this diaper works well for us during the day (bearing in mind that J is a fairly light wetter in the day) and the exterior is still dry when I change him after 2 - 3 hours. At night we need to add an extra booster to last the whole night (approx 10 hours). While I prefer to use wool or fleece soakers with overnight fitteds, with this diaper I find I have to use a PUL cover which seals well around the legs to combat the slight leg gap we get from boosting, or else we get leaks.  J feeds throughout the night and I consider him to be an above average wetter at night.  [Rating: 3.5/5] 


Overall impression: Although I usually reserve hybrid fitteds for overnight diapering, this one I prefer to use during the day because of the gaping issue when boosting for overnight. I adore this print and like the trim fit, which again makes it perfect for daytime use. I just also have to mention the gorgeous frilly bum versions of the hybrid fitteds this WAHM makes - if you have a girl it's a must-have. 

You can buy Eco Nappy Solutions hybrid fitteds directly from their website. Like them on Facebook too so you can be notified of new products, prints and offers.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission. I paid regular retail price for this diaper and was not compensated in any way for this review. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. J was 13 months old and 9.5kg when these photos were taken.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.