28 April 2015

Review: Mini Matters OS Cover


Description: The Mini Matters cover is designed to be used over the fitted of the same brand, but can also be used over flats, prefolds and other fitteds. It is made with sandwich PUL with a layer of printed 100% cotton on the outside. The cover features two rows of snaps on the front to adjust the rise (it is a one-size fits most cover) and two rows of snaps across the hips and waist to fasten the cover around your baby. 

First impressions: The cover seems very well made, with neat stitching and the little added touch of a care label sewn in. I love the cute design of the brand label and the placement at the back waist. I immediately noticed the two rows of rise snaps instead of the usual three. While the selection of prints that these covers are available in is limited, they are super cute and I particularly love this fun robot print. The crotch width seems quite generous and I did note that the interior is the fuzzy side of the sandwich PUL and not wipeable. [Rating: 3.5/5] 



Ease of use: This cover is fairly average in terms of ease of use - there are two rows of snaps to fasten at the waist, making it a total of four snaps to affix when putting the cover on. When you change the diaper underneath you may choose to keep using the same cover with a new absorbent insert or simply put the cover in your nappy bucket. This will depend on how wet the absorbent part used underneath the cover was, bearing in mind the cover isn't wipeable.  When the cover is soiled, simply place in your nappy bucket, ready for wash day. This cover washes up well, although takes a little longer than other covers to dry because of the cotton exterior. [Rating: 4/5]  

Fit: While this cover isn't stretchy, the way it is cut makes for a great fit over the Mini Matters fitted. I also found it fits well over other fitteds (perhaps with the exception of heavily stuffed night time fitteds), snappi'd prefolds and flats. While you can also choose to padfold/trifold in this cover, it's not my favourite cover for that.  At 13 months and 9.5kg, J is on the second rise snaps and one set of snaps exposed on each side around the waist and hips. There is still plenty of room to grow and the elastics around the legs are snug without being too tight.  [Rating: 4/5] 


Value for money: These covers are well priced to suit those on a budget. They fit well over Mini Matters fitteds and also fit over other absorbent options in your stash. The only downside is that you may not get as many uses out of them before having to wash as the interior isn't wipeable. However if you have a light wetter this is not as big an issue. [Rating: 3/5] 

Performance: These covers do their job - we have had no leaks for either day or night use. During the day J is a fairly light wetter, so keeping him leak free is not really a challenge. The main test happens at night though when he makes up for daytime with greater volumes of output and I'm happy to report that we did not even have wicking with this cover. However I cannot wipe and air out this cover to use again the next night, so for us it's a single use option at night before the next wash. The cover also keeps poop well contained, though I have to add J's poop isn't super runny anymore. But given the snug fit of the elastics I'm sure it should contain even runny ebf poop. [Rating: 4/5] 


Overall impression: I love the look of the cover on the outside - the sewing is really neat, the professional labels add a polished touch and the print is really cute. While I usually prefer a stretchy cover, I did not have any fit issues with this one. I definitely would've preferred a wipe clean interior though, both for looks (I'm not a fan of the look of the fuzzy side of the sandwich PUL) and also for practicality purposes. Luckily J is a light wetter during the day, so the cover doesn't get wet on the inside and I can use it more than once, however I still prefer to wash it after two or three uses. If your baby is sensitive to exposed PUL, a light-to-medium wetter and you're looking for a well-made and affordable cover, I would definitely recommend the Mini Matters OS cover.

You can buy the Mini Matters OS cover directly from their website. Like Mini Matters on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper, did not receive any compensation for this review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 13 months old and weighed approximately 9.5kg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.