29 April 2015

Review: Mini Matters Terry/Hemp Fitted


Description: The Mini Matters Fitted consists of two layers of cotton towelling (terry) with extra layers of hemp sewn into the wetzone. It comes with an added lay-in three layer hemp booster. The diaper is snapless and requires a snappi (included) or diaper pin to fasten it onto your baby. The fitted is available in two sizes, with size one fitting from 6 -  9kg and size two from 9 - 13kg up. The rise can be adjusted by folding it down as needed. For purposes of this review I tried the size two fitted on my 9.5kg one year old.   
First impressions:  While I'm usually all over bright colours and prints when it comes to cloth diapers, there is something to be said for a simple, clean white diaper. The terry fabric is super soft and seems very well made, with attention to detail in the construction. I thought the addition of a snappy in my package was a very nice touch! As far as fitteds goes, this one seems on the trimmer side.   [Rating: 4/5] 



Ease of use: These are somewhere between a winged prefold and a fitted with snaps/velcro in terms of ease of use. While it is shaped, with elasticated legs and doesn't require any folding to fit onto your baby, you do need to use a snappy to fasten it. So it's not quite as straightforward as fastening with snaps or velcro. You may also need to fold down the rise depending on how big your baby is. While this might be intimidating for newbies, once you get the hang of it, fastening the snappy goes quite quickly, even on a wriggly toddler. The lay-in hemp insert is just the right size and doesn't require folding over to fit into the diaper, even with the rise folded down. The diaper is fully absorbent with no hidden layers of fleece, so you do need to use it with a cover. When you take the diaper off, you can simply pop it directly into the diaper pail - no inserts to unstuff or unsnap and no laundry tabs to worry about. I expected this diaper to take quite a while to dry with the sewn-in layers of hemp in the wetzone, but I found drying time to be fairly average for a fitted. [Rating: 3.5/5] 

Fit: I really like the fit of these fitteds! Usually fitteds tend to be on the bulky side, but I didn't find these bulky at all, even  when using the added hemp booster (as in the photos accompanying this post). I love that I'm able to customise the fit of the waist and rise by folding it down and fastening it with a snappy. The fit around the legs is also spot on, without the elastics leaving angry red marks on his legs. Crotch width is good - not too narrow and not too wide, with good back coverage as well.  At a year old and 9.5kg we are folding the rise down for J and there is a small gap between the waist tabs, so still plenty of room to grow. I do find that if I'm putting the diaper on in a hurry (or while J is trying to escape), the waist tabs aren't properly secured by the snappy and looks a bit funny. But it doesn't affect the fit on the rest of the diaper or the function. [Rating: 4.5/5] 


Value for money: These are a fair price for a WAHM made product and in terms of the fabrics used. Bear in mind that the price includes a hemp booster as well as a snappy to fasten. [Rating: 4/5] 

Performance: For use during the day we can get away without using the hemp booster and we have not had any leaks. Bear in mind that J is a fairly light wetter, but I think this would work well for daytime for even heavy wetters and certainly will with the addition of the hemp insert. I also tested this fitted for night use, with the hemp insert as well as an additional hemp or bamboo insert and it lasts the whole night (approx 10 hours) with no leaks. The diaper is fairly saturated in the morning when I change him though, so probably not the best option for a very heavy wetter. J feeds throughout the night and I consider him to be an above average wetter at night. With regular use I had no issues with the snappy snagging on the fabric. As is normal for natural fibres, the diaper gets a little stiff when line dried, however it softens up again when placed in the tumble dryer for a few minutes.  [Rating: 4/5] 



Overall impression: This is a great no-frills fitted for use during the day or at night with a little additional boosting. As my son is a light wetter during the day I can get away with using this diaper without a cover when we're just hanging at home and I want to air his bum out a bit. Usually you would need to use a cover with this though. I like how customisable the fit of the Mini Matters Fitted is, that it's nice and trim for daytime and in my opinion it's a great budget friendly option for night time diapering too, provided your baby is not a very heavy wetter.

You can buy Mini Matters terry/hemp fitteds directly from their website. Like them on Facebook too so you can be notified of new products, prints and offers.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission. I paid regular retail price for this diaper and was not compensated in any way for this review. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. J was 13 months old and 9.5kg when these photos were taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.