15 May 2015

Flats Challenge 2015 - Day 5: Wash Routine


One of the main rules of the Flats Challenge was that we had to hand wash diapers for the entire week. When I embarked on this challenge in 2013 I had no clue how to hand wash and was totally reliant on my washing machine to wash our clothes and baby's diapers. It was a pretty steep learning curve, but this time around I could fall back on my previous experience and immediately fell into a workable routine.

So what did I learn during the previous challenge?

Firstly the plunger and bucket method of hand washing is definitely the easiest option. So this time around I didn't even try other methods. The only thing that changed was the detergent that I used as I am now using homemade Sunlight gel.

Secondly I decided to try and wash more frequently to ease the load of wringing on my hands. Last time I washed once a day and typically in the evenings and wringing out an entire day's worth of diapers one go got to me. I am washing two to three times a day at the moment, so the loads are small and manageable. Is this sustainable in the long term? Honestly, probably not. I would get pretty tired of having to wash three times daily, so if I had to do this long term I would most likely go back to doing one load a day. I guess my hands would just need to get used to the wringing!

Handwashing - plunger and bucket method
Thirdly I ended up using a dry pail system this time as I was washing so frequently. If I was hand washing once a day I would probably go back to a wet pail system.

If you're curious to know how the bucket & plunger method works, check out my Handwashing post from the 2013 challenge post where I explain the method in detail. 

In summary - submerge flats & covers in cold water and plunge 50 times to get rid of the urine. Drain the water and remove the covers. Fill the bucket (with flats in) with warm water (enough to cover your diapers), add your detergent and plunge 100 times. Drain and fill again with cold water. Plunge another 50 times to ensure all the detergent/soap is rinsed out. Drain and wring out. Shake to get excess water off and hang to line dry. 

Covers I just quickly wash with a little bit of soap and water, rinse, towel dry and then hang to dry. I did them seperately as I didn't want to add them to the hot water wash. 

And that's it! Just look at how easy J makes it look:



This is part of a 7-day series of blogposts for the 2015 Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge. Learn more about the challenge and what it entails over at Dirty Diaper Laundry. Check out my other posts in the series over here - Flats Challenge.

1 comment:

  1. He is so cute!! :) He knows what to do! It's been so nice to discover your blog through the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.