19 May 2015

Flats Challenge 2015 - Day 7: Final Thoughts

Aaaaaaargh I still need to wring them out too?? 

The 2015 Flats & Handwashing Challenge is over! The challenge officially ended on Sunday, but I still hand washed the flats used on Sunday on Monday afternoon when I got back from work and wouldn't you know it J made sure he got the last say by pooping in his night diaper on Sunday evening so I had two extra flats to hand wash on my last round. Thanks J.

So what have I learned?

Handwashing is challenging, no doubt about it. It requires some forward planning to fit the washing into your routine. That said the actual washing is not difficult at all - the plunger and bucket makes it pretty easy to do and the kids found it quite fun to do as well. I'm sure the novelty would wear off if this was a regular occurence though. The total wash 'cycle' is much shorter when handwashing, which is nice when you're on your way somewhere and want to hang out your diapers to dry before you go - much nicer than waaaaaaaiiiiting for the machine to finish. 

Flats and covers outside on the clothing line

Wringing out is probably the least fun part of the challenge and the bigger the load, the less fun it is.  So it's basically a toss up between washing more frequently (ie more than once a day) vs wringing out an entire day's (or more) worth of diapers all in one go. For a full-time working mom, or when you're out and about a lot, you will probably not be able to wash more than once a day, so the wringing is bound to get to you. I am glad to go back to using my washing machine!

As for the flats - I really enjoyed using them, though I missed being able to grab a fitted to put on J after his bath. When he's cranky and tired it kind of sucked having to pause to quickly fold a flat and snappy it onto him. If I couldn't afford fitteds for night I would just have to suck it up though and then I would have to make sure to have some flats pre-folded and ready in the cupboard.

Flats for daycare are totally feasible - J's daymom had no issues with the padfolded flats and covers at all and when TheHusband told her about the challenge she thought it was a pretty cool idea. So a big thumbs up for that.
J rocking a good old terry square

At home I was worried that the diapering duties would all fall on me since TheHusband usually opts for pockets. He wasn't fazed though and once he saw how easy it was to padfold flats in covers he was using flats like a pro. I even caught him snappy'ing a terry square onto J once - without me showing him how to fold it. Gotta love this guy!

Flats will definitely continue to form part of our rotation, though I must say I was happy to use some of our other favourites again when the challenge was done. As for hand washing - if there are no more clean nappies and we are loadshedding (a very real possibility these days), yes I will hand wash. If not - bring it on dear washing machine.

This is part of a 7-day series of blogposts for the 2015 Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge. Learn more about the challenge and what it entails over at Dirty Diaper Laundry. Check out my other posts in the series over here - Flats Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.