20 May 2015

Review: The Nappy Shack AIO


Description: The Nappy Shack AIO consists of a poly cotton print exterior, hidden PUL layer and microsuede interior lining. It features a few layers of bamboo sewn into the wetzone as well as a pocket opening at the back to add additional absorbency should you need it. The diaper also comes with a snap-in extra long tongue style insert for use with heavy wetters or at night. The Nappy Shack AIO is one-size-fits-most and adjusts in size via the three rows of rise snaps on the front. The diaper fastens with snaps around the waist and has a hip snap on either side to prevent wing droopage. 


First impressions:  I think it's no secret that I'm a lover of stripes and bright colours, so in terms of looks, I definitely perked up when I saw this print. The design of the diaper seems quite clever with the sewn-in insert, pocket opening and extra snap-in insert which gives you lots of options to add and customise absorbency. It's clear that the WAHM put quite a lot of thought into the construction. In comparison to other OS diapers, this one seems to be generously sized. The snaps colour code with the print on each diaper, which to me always creates a more polished look. I do wish that the exterior was a pure cotton though, personally I don't prefer the feel of polycotton.  [Rating: 3.5/5] 



Ease of use: These are pretty easy to put on - simply adjust the rise snaps and put the diaper onto your baby. For day use you probably don't need to add the snap-in insert (I definitely don't need it with my light wetter), although you might need it if you have a heavy wetter. If you do need to use the snap-in insert, it is pretty straight forward to snap in, though you might need to experiment with where exactly you fold the extra long insert to ensure absorbency where you need it. As a rough guideline - boys usually need extra absorbency in front, while girls need it more towards the middle of the diaper. I did have some issues with the rise snaps unsnapping while the diaper is on, but upon enquiry I was informed that snaps are now being procured from a different supplier which should solve this issue. When taking the diaper off, simply put it in your pail, nothing to unstuff and you don't need to unsnap the insert either. In terms of drying time, I find that the snap-in soaker dries reasonably quickly (bearing in mind it's natural fibres) while the diaper itself is average in terms of drying time. Turning the diaper inside out to expose the sewn-in absorbent insert helps to reduce drying time for us. [Rating: 4/5]  



Fit: As mentioned this diaper is quite generously cut in comparison to other OS diapers and at 14 months and 9.5kg J is still on the smallest rise setting, with one snap exposed at the waist. The diaper blouses a bit, especially from the back and when not using the snap-in insert, but it's not bulky. The diaper fits nicely around J's legs, though I do wonder how it would fit on a younger and smaller baby. It would probably be a better fit on chunkier babies and toddlers. [Rating: 3/5] 

Value for money: Given that this is a WAHM made product I think the pricing is fair. Also bearing in mind that it has both a sewn-in insert and snap-in insert and the absorbency is derived from natural fibres only which are typically more expensive than synthetics. [Rating: 4/5] 



Performance: This diaper was given to me for review as a day and night nappy. For daytime we use it without the snap-in insert and have had no issues with leaks of any kind. To be fair, J is a fairly light wetter during the day, but I think this diaper will hold up well for average wetters as well without the snap-in insert. Heavier wetters will need the snap-in insert as well for daytime use. The real test for us is overnight as J is a moderate to heavy wetter at night. We use this diaper with the snap-in insert and a wool or fleece soaker on top and I'm happy to report that it lasts the entire night with no leaks. There is some dampness around the legs though, so I wouldn't use it coverless overnight. However you could easily add extra absorbency in the pocket opening to avoid having to use a cover.  [Rating: 4/5] 

Overall impression: I like that this diaper is versatile enough to be a good option for both day and night time (provided you don't have a super duper heavy wetter). The cut is quite roomy which allows for a lot of extra stuffing should you need to add extra absorbency and also allows it to fit for longer, especially if your babies tend to be on the chunky side.


You can buy The Nappy Shack AIO directly on their Facebook group where you will also be privy to new product lines and see new prints.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  This diaper was sent to me free of charge for purposes of this review, however all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 14 months old and weighed roughly 9.5kg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.