24 June 2015

Review: Poopsy Daisy Hemp Winged Prefold


Description: Poopsy Daisy Winged Hemp Prefolds consist of two layers of hemp/cotton fleece and an additional two layers of the same fabric in the middle panel for a total of four layers in the wetzone. The wings are rounded and the edges are overlocked with a contrasting colour thread. These prefolds come in sizes newborn to toddler.

First impressions: These look so trim! I love the contrasting thread and the fact that the overlocked edges makes it that smidge trimmer. Goes without saying that the construction is top notch and sewing very neat. [Rating: 4/5] 


Ease of use: These are pretty straightforward to use - simply fold the bottom into thirds, place underneath baby, bring up between the legs and bring the wings around the waist to the front before securing with a snappy. You can also choose to jelly roll the sides in or even just trifold the entire thing (though that defies the purpose of the wings a little in my opinion). The stretchy hemp fabric makes these just that little bit easier to put on and of course the wings make them a little more newbie friendly. These prefolds wash up well and drying time is not too bad either considering it's hemp. [Rating: 4.5/5]  

Fit: This is the first time I'm trying out winged prefolds and I can't say I'm crazy about the fit. I prefer more bum coverage. I imagine the fit at the back would be similar with all winged prefolds though, so this is not brand specific. Otherwise, the prefold is super trim on - probably the trimmest prefold I've tried so far. The size medium is just the right size for J who weighs roughly 10kg at 15 months, with room to grow in the rise and waist. This prefold fits well under a variety of covers from the very trim (eg Buttons) to the more roomy (eg Blueberry Coverall). [Rating: 3.5/5] 


Value for money: In terms of absorbency, trimness and ease of use I think these are good value for money. They are a little less intimidating to snappy on than regular prefolds which makes for a great selling point. [Rating: 4/5] 

Performance: J is a light to medium wetter during the day and this prefold is more than absorbent enough for him. I feel like it would be a good option for heavier wetters too for daytime use. It's more absorbent than indian cotton prefolds I've tried. I have tried it for overnight as well with an added hemp booster and it held up all night. At night I consider J to be a medium to heavy wetter.   [Rating: 4/5] 


Overall impression: The trim fit, contrasting edges and level of absorbency gets my up vote. I am personally not a fan of the level of bum coverage on winged prefolds, though of course this is something you will only really notice when you take the cover off. If you are new to cloth (or just new to prefolds) and looking for some user friendly, trim prefold options that can cope with heavier wetters as well, Poopsy Daisy Hemp Winged Prefolds should definitely be on your to-try list. 

For more information on how to use prefolds and why they are so awesome, see my Cloth 101: Prefolds post.

Poopsy Daisy Hemp Winged Prefolds are available directly via their website. Like their Facebook page and join the Group to be the first to hear of new products and prints.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received this diaper free of charge for purposes of review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 15 months old and weighed approximately 10kg. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.