18 June 2015

Review: TomFips OS AIO


Description: The TomFips one-size AIO consists of a 100% cotton exterior with a hidden layer of PUL and a plush minky interior lining. It has an attached tongue style soaker consisting of layers of cotton for absorbency. This is halfway sewn in with the remainder able to stuff/unstuff in the pocket opening at the back to reduce drying time. (Similar to the Blueberry AiO). The pocket opening at the top allows you to add additional inserts as well should you need extra absorbency. Leg elastics are encased and the diaper has three rows of rise snaps on the front to adjust as baby grows. It fastens with snaps around the waist and features hip snaps to prevent wing droopage.

First impressions: I love seeing TomFips products as they are always so well made. This WAHM really has excellent attention to detail and every detail on this diaper is precise.  I was curious to see how the AIO would compare to the pocket in terms of cut and sizing and it seems to be slightly smaller overall which is most noticeable in the crotch area - this diaper has a much narrower crotch than the pocket of the same brand. The insert seems like it would be very absorbent yet it's not bulky and I like that it can unstuff to aid in the cleaning and drying process. The minky interior lining is super soft and I just love the print pictured in these photos. [Rating: 4/5] 


Ease of use: To use these you simply insert the attached soaker in the pocket opening at the back of the diaper. I find that the insert is a little too long when using the diaper on the smallest or middle rise settings, so I fold the top over and then stuff it in the pocket, which has the added bonus of giving me additional absorbency at the front where J needs it most. The top of the pocket opening is on the narrow side which means you have to take a little more care when stuffing. Once stuffed, simply fasten the diaper around your baby. I like to pull the insert out again when I take the diaper off and before putting it in the nappy bucket as it doesn't agitate out in the wash. I just feel like it gets cleaner that way. You can also choose to simply lay the attached insert on top of the diaper instead of stuffing it in the pocket. The TomFips AIO's drying time is fairly long and I find that I have to turn it inside out halfway through to allow air to circulate around all the absorbent parts.  [Rating: 3.5/5]

Fit: I really like the fit of this diaper on J - it's nice and snug all round (without being too tight) and I love how it fits between his legs. The waist and tabs tends to roll down a little at the top, but this has no effect on function and is simply an aesthetic thing.  J is currently on the middle row of rise snaps with two snaps exposed at the waist, so still plenty of room to grow.  [Rating: 4/5] 


Value for money: I think these are very well priced given that it's a homemade item and considering the high quality of the work and the fabrics used. It's certainly not a cheap stash filler, but a lovely addition to any stash and a great way to support a local WAHM. [Rating: 4/5] 

Performance: This diaper is very absorbent! J is a light to medium wetter during the day and when we change at the two hour mark, there is still plenty of absorbency left, so I think it would be a good option for medium to heavy wetters as well. Super soakers might need additional boosting, which is easily achieved by adding an extra insert in the pocket opening. We have not had any leaks whatsoever with this diaper. I did not test this diaper for overnight. [Rating: 5/5] 


Overall impression: Love love love this AIO! This is definitely my favourite item in the current TomFips line-up. I love how absorbent this diaper is, the pretty print and the lovely  fit we get. I wish drying time was a little faster, but hey, we can't have it all in a single diaper, right? I think this diaper would fit a good range of sizes and cope well with heavier wetters too. If you are looking for a trim fitting, super absorbent AIO with stay-dry option on the interior, TomFips should definitely be on your to-try list. I will definitely be adding more to my stash as well. 

You can buy TomFips via stockings on their Facebook page where you'll also be the first to hear of  new products and prints.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 14 months old and weighed approximated 9.8kg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.