03 July 2015

Review: Pokkelokkie Hemp Flat


Description: The Pokkelokkie Hemp/Cotton flat consists of a single layer of hemp/cotton jersey blend fabric. The edges are overlocked (serged) with brightly coloured contrasting thread and the flats are available in standard size (70 x 70cm) or can be made smaller to your requirements eg for a newborn. Depending on availability they are available in a couple of limited colours (grey, teal, powder blue). For purposes of this review I have tested the standard sized flat in grey.

First impressions: I absolutely adore the look of this flat - the grey hemp with the coloured edging looks awesome. The fabric itself is soft and stretchy and very trim. Construction is fairly simple (it is after all just a square piece of fabric), but the edges are very neatly finished off. [Rating: 4/5] 


Ease of use: Flats can be as easy (padfold) or as complicated to use as you choose. I prefer to pre-fold my flats when they come out of the wash so when it's time to change J's diaper it's a very quick and simple process of grabbing an assembled flat, snappy'ing it on and putting a cover over. The stretchiness of the hemp jersey fabric make these a little bit easier to snappy onto a wriggly toddler vs a non-stretchy flat. Padfolding is another great option for on-the-fly changes and is very userfriendly for dads and daycare as well. Because it's a single layer fabric these flats are easy to clean and drying time is pretty quick too. [Rating: 3/5]  

Fit: I love how super trim hemp jersey flats are. They are hands-down my favourite diaper when trimness is top priority. Snappi'd on they could give a disposable a run for its money and even padfolded they are still fairly trim. The 70 x 70 size is a very versatile size which would work from a young age (say 3 - 4 months) and up to potty training. The fit is great on J and I am able to do a wide variety of folds with this size. My current favourite folds are kite fold and origami fold.  I love that I can customise the fit around the legs and waist and that the fabric is thin enough to jellyroll the legs without adding a lot of bulk in that area. The stretchy fabric makes it easy to get a great fit even if your folding skills aren't quite as precise. [Rating: 5/5] 

Value for money: These are excellent value for money in my opinion. In terms of the trimness, absorption and versatility you get for the price point you will have to look far to beat these flats.  [Rating: 5/5] 

Performance: As trim as they are, the Pokkelokkie hemp flat is very absorbent. J is a light to medium wetter during the day and I never have to worry about leaks; in fact the flat can usually absorb a lot more than what he is producing. For heavy wetters they would be amazing. I have also used them overnight - one hemp flat in origami fold plus another padfolded in the wetzone and a cover on top makes for a foolproof night time solution for us. I consider J to be a medium to heavy wetter at night. The hemp fabric gets a little stiff when line dried, but this is true for all natural fibres and easily remedied by a quick scrunch or few minutes in the tumble dryer.  [Rating: 5/5] 


Overall impression: I love love love my Pokkelokkie hemp flats. They are similar to the Tyrilove hemp/cotton flats, but available in a few colours and fun contrasting edges. The stretchiness, trimness and absorbency is fantastic and they are currently one of my favourite diapers to use. Highly recommended for those looking for quick drying, yet absorbent solutions and/or affordable night-time solutions.

You can buy Pokkelokkie Hemp/Cotton flats directly from their Facebook page.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received this diaper free of charge, however all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 16 months old and weighed approximately 10kg.

7 comments:

  1. Would you then add a waterproof cover to this?And do you think it would a 17kg toddler ?
    Renate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you would need a waterproof cover. For a 17kg toddler you can use kite fold to get more length in the rise or simply padfold and lay in the cover.

      Delete
  2. What fold would be the best for a night time solution for my heavy wetter lb of 10 months? I see here you've used origami fold and boosted with a padfolded flat for night time. How do you padfold an additional flat without it being too bulky? Or is it bulky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Origami boosted with a padfolded flat is best for nighttime IMO. Night time cloth will always be a little bulky, though I do think this is one of the least bulky night time options. Luckily most babies don't seem to be bothered by this in my experience. ;-)

      Delete
    2. To give you an idea of approximate bulk - if you scroll to the end of this post you'll see a receiving blanket in origami fold with a hemp flat padfolded in the wetzone. Flannel and hemp jersey are approximately the same thickness.

      http://hippiesafari.blogspot.co.za/2015/05/flats-and-handwashing-challenge-day-3.html

      Delete
  3. What fold would be the best for a night time solution for my heavy wetter lb of 10 months? I see here you've used origami fold and boosted with a padfolded flat for night time. How do you padfold an additional flat without it being too bulky? Or is it bulky?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marisa, Would you recommend pokkelokkie flats for newborns? And do you reckon I can alternate with a few receiving blankets? What size cloth is recommended for newborns?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.