13 August 2015

Review: Nunibunz Pocket/SIO Diaper

 

Description: The Nunibunz pocket diaper consists of a PUL waterproof outer and a microsuede interior lining with a pocket opening on both sides (front and back). It comes with one insert with a total of three layers of bamboo/cotton fleece, one layer of bamboo terry and two layers of microfibre. The insert can be snapped into the front to function as a SIO (snap-in-one) diaper instead of a pocket. This is a sized diaper and available in sizes small to large. Nunibunz fastens with one row of snaps around the waist. 

First impressions: Nunibunz is on par with popular brand names in terms of the look, feel and quality of sewing. The fused-on label just adds the cherry on top to the professionally made look of this diaper. The diaper is available in a range of eye catching bright solids, perfect for mixing and matching with your baby's wardrobe. The crotch looks nice and narrow (personal preference), I love the sleek look of the closure tabs in front and the insert looks like it would be really thirsty yet quick drying with the way it is constructed - basically two inserts sewn together at each end, but left open in the middle.  [Rating: 5/5] 


Ease of use: For use as a pocket I find Nunibunz a bit fiddly to use as the pocket is quite narrow and just wide enough to fit the insert. I much prefer using it as a SIO by tucking it under the flap in front and snapping it in to keep it in place. This also means that there is no unstuffing or un-snapping required when taking the diaper off and putting it into the diaper pail. The insert is stated to agitate out in the wash when stuffed into the pocket, however it didn't agitate out for us, so when using the diaper as a pocket I would remove the insert before washing. With this being a sized diaper, there are no rise snaps to worry about and also only one row of snaps to fasten around the waist which makes it a very user-friendly diaper. I think it would be a great intro diaper for those new to cloth.  The shell dries really fast, while the insert is average in terms of drying time.  [Rating: 4/5]  

Fit: The size medium fits J well and I would say it runs true to size (the weight range indicated for this size is 7 - 13.5kg) and at 10.7kg there is still plenty of room to grow. The diaper is nice and stretchy which makes it easy to get on and the elastics around the back and waist is snug but not too tight. I was worried about wing droopage, but this has not been an issue on my active toddler. I find that the insert tends to sag a bit in the crotch area when wet (especially when not snapped in), which adds a little bulk between the legs.  Overall the fit is nice and trim and it fits well even under jeans. [Rating: 4/5] 


Value for money: In terms of quality of construction and fabrics used and of course it being a WAHM item I think Nunibunz is very well priced and definitely worth the money. [Rating: 5/5] 

Performance: J being a light wetter during the day means that absorbency is rarely an issue for us. What I can however say is that the insert is not even half saturated when I change his diaper, which to me indicates that it would work well on a medium wetter too. It's certainly more absorbent than the typical pocket nappy with microfibre insert and I feel it might even be more absorbent than a typical microfibre plus bamboo insert pairing in other pockets. Heavy wetters will probably need additional boosting (or more frequent changes). The diaper contains poop well too. I have not tested this diaper for overnight and wouldn't recommend it. [Rating: 4/5] 


Overall impression: Nunibunz is a lovely addition to the range of locally available WAHM nappies and one of the very few WAHM pockets in South Africa at the moment. The design is unique, with sleek styling and bright colours and the diaper manages to hit a nice sweet spot between trimness and absorbency. If you haven't tried a Nunibunz yet, I highly recommend adding one to your stash. 

You can buy Nunibunz products via their Facebook page, where you will also be able to stay on top of new products and prints.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 16 months old and weighed approximately 10.5kg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.