03 September 2015

Review: Disana Tie Nappy


Description: The Disana Tie Nappy is unlike any other diaper I have come across in my almost four years of cloth diapering. I'm actually not sure how to class it - it's somewhere between a fitted and a flat. Perhaps a contour would be the best way to describe it. It is 100% organic cotton and the fabric is knitted which makes it super stretchy. The diaper has long ties at the front edge, which wraps around to the back and again back to the front to fasten the diaper onto your baby. This is a one-size diaper with the rise being controlled by folding down the back of the diaper.

First impressions: I'll be honest, this diaper had me confused when I received it. It looks very different to other styles of diapers I have tried and I had to watch a YouTube video to see how to put it on. The fabric is soft and squishy and seems like it would be super comfy on a baby. the organic cotton trifold I received seems like it would be very trim, I wonder how absorbent it will be. [Rating: 3.5/5] 


Ease of use: The tie nappy definitely has a learning curve. While minimal folding is involved (so in that sense about the same ease of use as a prefold), the concept is very different from other diapers I've seen. You need to fold down the diaper at the back (or front) to control the rise, then wrap the two sides around baby before bringing the front up between baby's legs and then of course tie the straps around baby's waist to secure the diaper. With a toddler making diaper changes an athletic sport, I must say I found it challenging to get this diaper on and have him lie still long enough to fasten the ties. Taking the diaper off is pretty straightforward and you can just pop it directly in your diaper pail. I was worried that the ties would get tangled up in the wash, however we did not have any issues with that. It also wasn't a problem when spraying poop off the diaper. This diaper dries fairly quickly, on par with other single layer diapers eg flats. [Rating: 2.5/5]  

Fit: Similar to flats, prefolds and contours, the fit is very customizable and you can make it as loose or tight as you need to around the waist and legs. I find it a little difficult though to keep the sides taut and in place while bringing the front of the nappy up and securing the ties, so we often don't get as precise a fit as I would like around the legs, which is a little annoying. If you're using a PUL cover, a precise leg fit is a little less important as the cover helps to keep everything contained. However for use with a wool soaker (as is recommended with this diaper), it's best to get a snug fit around the legs, especially when dealing with runny poop. The diaper is average in terms of bulk/trimness, however this is largely influenced by what you choose to boost it with. There are no elastics to leave marks, so in that regard the fit is very gentle and I imagine would be fantastic for babies with a sensitive skin.  [Rating: 3.5/5] 



Value for money: This diaper is greatvalue for money in my opinion given the fact that it's 100% organic cotton and in terms of ability to adjust to fit your baby. The unit cost is also a little lower when buying in a pack of three. [Rating: 4.5/5] 

Performance: I tested the tie nappy on it's own as well as with a Disana organic cotton trifold booster. We experienced the occasional leak with the tie nappy as is (ie no boosting) during the day, however it worked great for us with the organic cotton trifold added. Bear in mind J is a light wetter during the day. We did not try this diaper for overnight, though I'm sure with enough boosting it would work. It's stretchy and soft enough to accommodate a fair amount of boosting added inside without causing leg gaps. Absorbency wise the tie nappy on its own is roughly equivalent to a single microfibre insert (it absorbed 137ml in my test). the organic cotton trifold absorbed roughly the same amount (134ml), which is quite decent given it's size and how thin it is. [Rating: 3.5/5] 



Overall impression: The biggest con to this diaper is the learning curve. I am a fairly confident flat & prefold user and I had to tweak the fit a few times with this diaper before I was happy with it.  It's definitely not a daycare or daddy-friendly diaper in my opinion. On the upside it is super soft, seems very comfy on (like your favourite pair of pajama pants) and is very adjustable. Even though the ties come with it's own challenges - hello toddler wanting to pull the strings - it is also nice to not have to scramble for a snappy to secure the diaper on your baby. I'll be honest, I don't think this diaper is for everyone. However if you have a baby with sensitive skin, and/or you prefer all-natural fabrics and soft textures against your baby's bum, you might just fall head over heels in love with this system.

You can buy the Disana Tie Nappy from local resellers Nana Love. Like them on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints. Their products are also available at Fluff & Squish in Johannesburg.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received this diaper free of charge for purposes of review, however was not compensated in any other way for this review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 17 months old and weighed approximately 10.7kg



1 comment:

  1. If you are interested, we started a facebook group for the tie nappies. Tips and questions etc. Look us up!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.