22 January 2016

Review: Happy Flute Hemp Fitted (+ VIDEO demo)


Description: The Happy Flute Hemp Fitted consists of an outer layer of hemp cotton  and an interior lining of hemp/cotton fleece. It comes with a snap-in insert consisting of three layers of hemp cotton. The edges are serged/overlocked in a contrasting colour (there are currently four colours to choose from). The diaper is OSFM and features a 3 x 3 snap-down rise on the front to enable you to adjust the size. It has two rows of snaps on the front and two snaps on each wing. It also has cross-over snaps on the waist tab to make the waist smaller should you need to. 

First impressions:  As far as fitteds go, this one is pretty trim and this trimness immediately struck me when I received it. The hemp is nice and soft, with the hemp/fleece interior adding some extra softness inside. I like the plain look of the diaper with just the pop of colour from the serged edges. In terms of stitching and snap placement, this diaper seems well-made. [Rating: 3.5/5] 


Ease of use: This fitted is fairly easy to use - simply snap in the insert at the back, adjust the rise and put the diaper on your baby. The fabric is nice and stretchy which makes it that little bit easier to put on (especially with a wriggly toddler). It does require a cover to be waterproof though. When taking the diaper off, simply put it in your diaper pail, no need to unsnap the insert at the back. In fact, I leave the insert snapped in throughout the washing and drying process as well, which saves me a few seconds when putting clean diapers away. Drying time is pretty good, it's one of my fastest drying fitteds. [Rating: 4/5] 

Fit: The fit of these are great - super duper trim compared to other fitteds as you can see from these photos. For this reason I really like using these during the day, they fit well under most covers and we have no issue fitting pants over. J is on the smallest rise and with the waist tabs meeting in the middle, so still plenty of room to grow. I think in terms of fit it is quite forgiving because of the stretchy nature of the fabric and the serged edges adds to this. You would easily be able to add an extra booster inside as well and still get a good fit. I did find that the edges tended to curl, especially on the wings, this doesn't really bother me, but I know that some people do mind the curling. [Rating: 4/5] 


Value for money: Fitteds tend to be on the pricier side, because of all the absorbent fabrics used. The Happy Flute fitted is definitely on the lower end of the scale and in my opinion fairly good value for money, in terms of what you get - a well-fitting, well-made, no-frills fitted with a fair amount of absorbency. [Rating: 4/5] 

Performance: J is a light to medium wetter during the day at the moment and this diaper works great for us under a cover. He has recently turned into a very light wetter at night, so this diaper works for us overnight without any extra boosting (and with a cover of course), but I think it will require extra boosting for night time for most babies. I did an absorbency test to see how much liquid it could absorb and it absorbed 376ml, which I think is pretty good if you take into account how trim it is. This is comparable to some hybrid fitteds I have tried and roughly equivalent to one large receiving blanket (80 x 125 cm). [Rating: 3.5/5] 

Overall impression: I'm not really a big fitted fan for daytime, but I find myself reaching for these quite frequently for daytime use as they are so nice and trim. I love the stretch and the drying time is obviously a big plus point. These would be a great introduction to fitteds and a lovely budget friendly option. Highly recommended for daytime use and with added boosting for night-time use as well.  

You can buy Happy Flute hemp fitteds locally from Fluff Love.  Like them on Facebook too so you can be notified of new products, prints and offers.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission. I received this diaper free of charge for purposes of review, however all opinions expressed above are my own.While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. J was 22 months old and 11.5kg when these photos were taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.