23 May 2016

{Flats Challenge 2016} Day 7 - Final Thoughts


The challenge is over! Yesterday was Day 7 and we completed our last full day of flats and covers, I still have those to handwash today, but for all intents and purposes I'm done and the stress is off. 

The overwhelming emotion I felt throughout the challenge this year was stress and a constant preoccupation with whether my flats would be dry in the morning to be able to use them again. I set myself a special challenge of only washing at night, so I could not rely on the sun to speed up drying time and to top that off I also set a limit on the number of flats and covers in my stash. 

I did manage to complete the challenge with the 6 covers and 12 flats I started out with (I had to borrow one cover from my regular stash on day 2 before I learned the towel trick to speed up drying time). But it was definitely a challenge!




So in a nutshell - is it doable? Yes. Is it something I would do full time if I had to? I honestly don't know. It would depend on the circumstances. It is much easier if you are home full day or at least half day and it's also easier if you have a slightly bigger stash, say 20 flats to take some of the pressure off. So for me, given my real circumstances, where I am home in the afternoons and I do have more than 12 flats and 6 covers, yes I would do this. I would be able to skip a day's washing and not stress about running out of diapers. 

If I had to stick to 12 flats and 6 covers and worked full time outside the home, I don't know if I could do this full time. On the other hand, if I truly did not have the additional funds for disposables every month, I guess I would have to make do. But it's hard for me to make that decision without firsthand knowledge of what it feels like to be in that position. 

Mixed feelings? You could say that again. 

This is part of a series of posts for the Dirty Diaper Laundry 2016 Flats and Handwashing Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.