16 June 2016

Review: Baby Chamberlain Cotton Knit Flats


Description: The Baby Chamberlain Cotton-Knit flat consists of two layers of quality cotton-knit. The edges are overlocked (serged) and the flats are available in newborn or regular size. For purposes of this review I tested the regular size.

First impressions: I'm a total sucker for stripes, so when the neatly wrapped parcel full of stripey flats arrived I involuntarily grinned from ear to ear. Baby Chamberlain has a wide range of super pretty prints, so if you're not a stripe lover, there is sure to be something else you will love. The fabric itself, being a cotton-knit is super soft and squishy and I can just imagine that it must be very comfy to wear. Construction is fairly simple (it is after all just a square piece of fabric), but the edges are neatly finished. [Rating: 4/5] 


Ease of use: Flats can be as complicated or as easy to use as you make them, it just depends on the fold you use. You can fold them in an insert-sized rectangle and simply place in a cover if the other folds intimidate you. These flats are a little easier to use and put on a wriggly baby due to the stretchiness of the fabric. In poopy situations, it's easiest to use a liner, or you will have to spray poop off all the folds. Drying time on these are a little longer than other flats, due to it being double layered. [Rating: 3/5]  

Fit: Being double layered, these are a bit bulkier than other flats I've tried (with the exception of terry squares), however they are still fairly trim as you can see from the photo above. Padfolding them is a bit bulkier, so I personally prefer to use these snappi'd on my toddler. The stretchiness makes these flats very forgiving in terms of fit and it can compensate for a bit of sloppiness in folding. [Rating: 4/5] 



Value for money: These are priced very similarly to hemp flats and in terms of the quality of fabric, stretchiness and absorbency, I feel it's very good value for money. [Rating: 4/5] 

Performance: Hemp flats are usually my go-to for night time due to how absorbent they are, but for purposes of review I tried these at night as well (with an added booster in the wetzone) and they held up all night, no leaks, same as my hemp flats. So that got me curious about absorbency. I tested one of the flats I have for absorbency, using the same method I usually do, and it absorbed a whopping 400ml. Granted, it is pretty wet at that point, but with a decent cover it should easily be able to absorb and hold that amount without leaks. Now bearing in mind a typical (70 x 70 cm) hemp flat absorbs roughly 370ml and a single microfibre insert is roughly 120ml, this absorbency is very good. I have used these flats for about a month now and they have remained soft even when line dried, however similar to other stretchy flats, they also tend to pull a bit skew with repeated washing and line drying. It doesn't bother me personally, but I thought I would mention it as some people are bugged by this.  [Rating: 4.5/5] 


Overall impression: I was pleasantly surprised by the Baby Chamberlain flats. Not only do they look great (hello pretty prints!), but they are squishy-soft, fairly trim (though to be fair, not the trimmest), super absorbent and they wash and wear well. I must say I quite like that I don't have to rub or tumble dry them to get them soft after line drying, they just stay soft (all my other flats require a bit more work to remain soft). I reach for these often and I would definitely recommend them if you are a flats lover wanting to expand your stash or a newbie wanting to give flats a whirl.

You can buy Baby Chamberlain Kids Emporium products directly from their Facebook page where you will also be the first to hear of new products and prints.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received this diaper free of charge for purposes of review, however all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 27 months old and weighed approximately 11.8kg.

1 comment:

  1. Leanne Stander17 June, 2016 15:46

    I love my nappie that I got from Baby Chamberlains. Stephanie only gives great quality work, and like you said, the prints are to die for.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.