23 June 2016

Review: Mini Matters Omnia


Description: The Mini Matters Omnia is a proudly South African SIO (snap-in-one) diaper, consisting of a waterproof TPU (similar to PUL) outer and moisture wicking interior lining with pocket opening at the back. It comes with two inserts - one is two layers of cotton and two hemp fleece, while the smaller insert is three layers of hemp fleece. The big insert snaps into the shell and the smaller insert snaps onto the bigger one. This diaper has three rows of rise snaps on the front to adjust the sizing and two rows of waist/hip snaps to adjust the fit around baby's waist and hips. 

First impressions: This diaper is really well made using good quality fabrics. Everything is precise - from the seams to the snap placement to the design of the inserts. It is clear that quite a bit of thought went into the concept with the one insert bigger than the other and wider at one end and the option to snap on the smaller insert to give more absorbency where your baby requires it - front (boy) or back (girl). Further, the inserts can be stuffed inside the pocket for a stay-dry lining against baby's skin or laid on top of the shell for natural fibres against baby's bum. The pocket opening is very generous, yet manages to still look neat (ie no gaping). The diapers are available in a selection of solids and unique prints. [Rating: 4.5/5] 

Mini Matters Omnia, outside and inside showing the two snap-in inserts (image credit: Mini Matters)

Ease of use: As mentioned above there are a couple of ways this diaper can be used - inserts stuffed into the pocket or laid on top. There are two snaps at the back pocket opening where the inserts snap in to keep them from moving around. The pocket opening is quite generous which makes it very easy to stuff, even with both inserts and there is still room to add more absorbency should you need to. The booster snaps onto the big insert and can be positioned for more absorbency front or back. As I have a boy, we position the additional absorbency at the front. Once the inserts are snapped in, this diaper goes on easily. If you have chosen to stuff the inserts inside the pocket, you will need to remove those when taking the diaper off and before placing it in the pail. The shell dries fairly fast, but the inserts do take quite a bit of time to dry, which is to be expected considering the fabrics used. [Rating: 3.5/5]  

Fit: After a few washes to prep the inserts, we get a really nice fit on J. He is on the smallest rise setting, though the middle rise would also work well (I just prefer a lower rise). With two sets of snaps showing at the waist, there is still quite a bit of room to grow in this diaper. Even so, I think that this diaper will be a pretty good fit on smaller babies too as body shape changes so much from baby to toddler. The back and leg elastics are snug without being overly tight and even with both inserts in, the diaper isn't overly bulky on J (pictured here with both inserts). The fit reminds me quite a bit of the Blueberry simplex. [Rating: 4/5] 

Value for money: These certainly aren't cheap and I wouldn't call them a stash filler, but in terms of what you get, I think the price is fair. It is on par with international brands and WAHM products. And you are supporting a South African company, which has an added feelgood factor.  [Rating: 3.5/5] 

Performance: In terms of absorbency, this diaper performs very well. Total overkill for us of course with J being a light wetter, but I did some absorbency tests on it and the two inserts together absorb roughly 300ml (that's the equivalent of about 3 pocket inserts for reference). Younger babies and light wetters will be able to get away with just the large insert without the added booster. The leg and back elastics do a great job at containing runny poops too, as test-driven by J. [Rating: 5/5] 


Overall impression: The Omnia is a really great new product from Mini Matters. I love that you can tell a lot of planning and thought went into the various elements of this diaper to give the perfect balance between absorbency, fit and trimness. The workmanship is impeccable and I like the built-in versatility which enables you to choose stay-dry vs natural fibres against baby's bum and to customise absorbency exactly where your baby needs it. The only downside for me is the drying time of the inserts, but it's a fair price to pay for the absorbency that it offers.

The Mini Matters Omnia launches on 24 June 2016. You can buy Mini Matters products directly from their website. Like them on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints. 


Disclaimer: All image credits (except where specifically stated otherwise) belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I received this diaper free of charge for purposes of review, however all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 27 months old and weighed approximately 11.8kg.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks again for a brilliant site. I discovered this recently as I'm expecting my first and I find your reviews are invaluable to me right now.

    My question - how would you say these compare to Fancypants? And is Fancypants still your favourite cloth diaper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are different to Fancypants in a few ways - Omnia has a choice between natural fibre or stay-dry lining against baby's skin, while Fancypants doesn't have any stay-dry lining, just the bamboo. Omnia has natural fibre inserts which take longer to dry vs Fancypants microfibre inserts which dry quickly but are prone to compression leaks. The Fancypants PUL is stretchier than the Omnia, so could be easier to get a good fit on baby. Omnia inserts snap in which is nice, while Fancypants you have to stuff in the pocket, which can get tedious. Both are good quality nappies, it just depends on what you are looking for. I have a couple of favourite cloth nappies, it just depends on the situation and my mood. I should do another post with my new favourites. Here is an old one from 2013, but there are so many more brands available now that I have found new favourites. http://hippiesafari.blogspot.co.za/2013/10/my-fluff-stash-favourites-2013-edition.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks for taking the time to respond! I will definitely get a few different ones as I'm sure some are more suitable for certain times than others. Really excited about cloth diapering. I get so annoyed when people give me their opinion on it (usually negative). Makes me even more motivated to use them!

      Delete
    3. Yes, prove them wrong! :-) All the best.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.