25 September 2016

Review: TomFips SIO


Description: The TomFips One-size SIO consists of a swimsuit outer*, double bondeed cotton knit interior lining and an extra-long snap-in insert, made of three layers of the same cotton knit fabric.* The double bonded cotton knit is roughly equivalent to two layers of cotton knit.  This diaper has three rows of rise snaps on the front to adjust the sizing and three snaps on each wing (two waist and one hip) to adjust the fit around the waist and legs. 

*Fabrics may vary depending on availability. This is the version that I tested though.

First impressions: I've mentioned it before, but this WAHMs attention to detail is really good. I have been eyeing the new SIO for a while and we are big Peppa Pig fans, so when I saw this George pig print, I just had to pounce. It is super duper cute in real life and J couldn't stop looking at it when I removed it from the courier bag. The swimsuit exterior is very stretchy, I was worried that it would distort the print, but somehow it doesn't. The cotton knit interior is so plush and soft, it reminds me of the organic cotton jersey used in Flip inserts and the Grovia AIO.  The SIO seems somewhat bigger than the AIO I have of the same brand. I'm loving the vinyl prints that has been up for grabs recently. [Rating: 5/5] 

Ease of use:  In comparison to the AIO, this SIO version is quicker and easier to assemble after washing - adjust the rise snaps, snap in the insert (and fold it down to fit) and put it on your baby. The extra-long insert could confuse those new to cloth, but you can simply  just fold it down at the front to fit if you don't want to think too much about it. If you want to reduce bulk at the front of it you have a girl who needs more absorbency in the middle you may wish to fold the inserts for more layers in the middle. The stretchy fabric makes it easy to get a nice fit and helps a lot when you have a wriggly toddler.  When taking the diaper off, simply put it in your pail, you don't need to unsnap the insert. Having used the AIO before and loving everything but the drying time on it, the construction of the SIO immediately caught my eye. It seems like it would dry a lot quicker than the AIO and this has proven to be true.  [Rating: 4.5/5]  

Fit: The cut of this diaper is a little bigger than the AIO as mentioned, so at 13.2kg and 2.5 years old J is still on the smallest rise (he is on middle rise with most nappies) and with two snaps showing in the waist. So there's a lot of room to grow still. Folding down the inserts for extra layers at the front seemed like it could be bulky on, but I don't find it to be bulky on J. It will probably appear a bit bulkier on a younger baby though. For us it's a good fit all round - nice crotch width, back coverage and comfortably snug in the legs and waist to keep everything contained. [Rating: 4/5] 

Value for money: Considering the fabrics used (including the printing) and the craftsmanship, I definitely think these are worth every cent. They aren't stash fillers, but I think everyone needs at least one show-off nappy in their stash. [Rating: 4/5] 


Performance:
 The absorbency on this diaper is great, about 280ml from the absorbency test I did. To give you an idea that's somewhere between two and three microfibre inserts. It containted both pee and poop perfectly for us. I did not try this diaper for overnight. [Rating: 4/5] 


Overall impression: I just love how soft this diaper is on the inside and how super stretchy it is on the outside. I loved the fit and the absorbency of the TomFips AIO, but the drying time is quite long, so the SIO is a great improvement on that. And seriously - who can resist the cute vinyl prints on these? 

You can buy TomFips diapers via their Facebook group. Like them on Facebook to be the first to hear of new products and prints. And if you're interested in getting your own vinyl printing done, contact Janice Whitfield from Little Things.

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for this diaper and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was 2.5 years old and weighed approximately 13.2 kg.

3 comments:

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.