28 May 2014

{Newborn fluff} Review: THX Newborn AIO

THX newborn AIO on J at 4.2kg
Description: The THX newborn AIO diaper is known in the cloth diapering community as the knock-off version of Rumparooz' Lil Joey. It looks virtually identical on the outside. The old version of THX newborn looks very similar to the Lil Joey on the inside as well - featuring the same microfleece interior, sewn-in absorbent layer and interior gussets. The new version of the THX newborn diaper does not have these interior gussets. This review will be covering both new and old versions as they are so similar. The diaper closes with a single row of snaps around the waist and features two rows of rise snaps as well as an umbilical cord snap-down.

First impressions: These look very similar to Lil Joeys. I expected there to be a noticeable difference in quality as they were so much cheaper, but this was not the case. I particularly loved the one brown minky exterior THX I bought - tiny fluffy bums don't get much cuter than that! [Rating: 5/5] 


THX newborn AIO on J at 2.4kg
Ease of use: These are a no-brainer to use - as it's an all-in-one, you simply fasten the diaper around baby's waist. No need to stuff pockets or arrange inserts as the absorbency is fully sewn in. I expected these to take just as long to dry as the Lil Joey, but found the interior gusset version dried slightly quicker due to the fact that the middle wasn't sewn down like the Lil Joey is. The diaper without the interior gussets dried significantly faster, but I still wouldn't call it a fast drying diaper.  The two rows of rise snaps were a bit confusing for TheHusband initially, as they don't snap down, you simply fasten the diaper either to the bottom or top row of snaps depending on how small you need the leg opening to be, so that's something to keep in mind. At first you'll want to use the umbilical cord snap-down. When you take the diaper off, you can throw it as is into the pail, no further fiddling required. [Rating: 4.5/5]  

THX newborn AIO on J at 3.5kg & 56cm
Fit: Just like the Lil Joey, these fit awesome right from the start, that is from about 2.2kg. I found that the version without interior gussets actually fit him slightly better initially as it was slightly less bulky, but over time both versions fit him equally well. These diapers fit up to about 5.8kg or three months.  I would say these and the Lil Joeys were my favourite diapers in terms of fit on J throughout the whole newborn period. [Rating: 5/5]  

THX newborn AIO on J at 3.5kg & 56cm
Value for money: These diapers are very affordable without compromise on quality - in my opinion they are excellent value for money. They also retain their value quite well for reselling when you're done, making them even more of a bargain. [Rating: 5/5] 

Performance: These performed consistently great - keeping in that runny ebf poop and absorbing pee really well too. I was worried that the diaper without interior gussets would not hold in the ebf poop as well as the interior gusset version did, but I noticed no difference in performance in that area. Similarly, the minky and smooth PUL versions performed equally well too. The THX newborn AIO also performed on par with the Lil Joey in terms of time we could go between changes - roughly 2 to 3 hours. As with the Lil Joeys, J outgrew the absorbency around 2.5 months, which is pretty average for a newborn diaper. As they are such a trim fit and he was already almost at the limit of this diaper size-wise, it wasn't really possible for me to add extra absorbency and so we retired these a week later. 
[Rating: 5/5] 

THX newborn AIO on J at 3.5kg & 56cm
Overall impression:  These were one of my all-time favourite newborn diapers and I found myself reaching for them a lot. Great fit, great absorbency, super easy to use and so well priced too. I highly recommend these for the newborn period. 

THX newborn AIOs are available through various online platforms (Alibaba, Ali Express, eBay) or you can buy them through one of the co-ops on Facebook or the THX b/s/t group on Facebook. 

Disclaimer: All image credits belong to Hippie Safari. Please do not use or distribute without my permission.  I paid regular retail price for diaper, received no compensation for my review and all opinions expressed above are my own. While I aim to provide detailed, objective reviews of all the diapers that I've used, please bear in mind that this is my opinion and that every mom has her own preferences and every baby is built differently. So what works well for me and J, might not necessarily work well for you and your baby. At the time that these photos were taken, J was between 2.5 and 12 weeks old and his weight ranged between 2.4kg and 5.8kg. 

THX newborn AIO on J at 5.8kg & 60cm

5 comments:

  1. Hi, do you know anywhere I can order these in the uk without paying £30 odd for shipping? great review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am from THX Cloth diaper company. So happy tp see this wonderful review.

    From June 15, we will use the new shipping charge policy for all our stock products orders:
    United States
    1. We use FedEx for our United States' deliveries
    2. We will charge only $20 USD shipping for the order worth over $350 USD.
    3. Free shipping for order worth over $700 USD.

    Other countries
    1. The shipping will be $60 USD cheaper for the orders worth over $350 USD.
    2. The shipping will be $150 USD cheaper for the orders worth over $700 USD.

    Any interest, please do not hesitate to contact us: ella@babyclothnappy.com or ella@thxdiaper.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does the middle not get all bunched up after washing since it is not seen down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I didn't find it to bunch up at all.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line and I'll make sure to answer any questions or comments you might have.